Lockdown at Missouri university lifted as police apprehend suspected gunman
Friday, May 13, 2011
A suspected gunman has been taken into custody today after a university in Missouri, U.S. was locked down when he entered the campus with an assault rifle. Cody Nathaniel Willcoxon reportedly arrived at around 9:00 a.m. (14:00 ) Thursday morning after shooting at officers in a police chase.
Officials say no one has been injured after Willcoxon—described as amale with sandy blonde hair—entered McNutt Hall, a building on the campus. He had earlier escaped from police custody at while being questioned by military police when trying to enter the property and was then pursued by authorities along . The gunman began shooting at police while driving, exiting the interstate at , Missouri. Willcoxon reportedly stopped near a university building and fled on foot, before stealing a from a residence near the school.
No shots were fired on campus, say authorities, and no one was injured. The school sent emergency alerts to its students and faculty as a result of the incident. Law enforcement officials told students to stay inside their buildings until the lockdown was lifted and were not allowing anyone to enter the campus. Police were seen retrieving several items, including weapons, from a vehicle on the school campus.
Willcoxon was apprehended by authorities around 1:00 p.m. CDT and the lockdown was subsequently lifted.
- Jay Scherder. "Suspect is in custody near Rolla MO after chase, shooting at officers, campus lockdown" — , May 12, 2011
- "Police: Gunman Fired Shots Before Entering Campus" — , May 12, 2011
- "Police: Gunman no longer on Mo. university campus" — , May 12, 2011
- Kristen Gosling. "Missouri S&T gunman leaves campus" — , May 12, 2011
- Robert A. Cronkleton and Joe Robertson. "Gunman forces lockdown at university in Rolla" — , May 12, 2011
- "Emergency news and updates" — , May 12, 2011
- "All clear issued for Missouri S&T campus" — , May 12, 2011