Microsoft Silverlight released into first test phase
Monday, April 30, 2007
Microsoft has finally released its long awaited "Silverlight" into Alpha Testing for the general public. "It's the biggest challenge for Microsoft right now," said Brent Thill, an analyst from Citigroup. This is the most direct threat to date, that Microsoft has posed to Adobe (makers of the popular Flash platform).
The creators of Silverlight have been promising a single plug-in which will work across all browsers and operating systems and will offer a rich video and interactive media experience which can be embedded within Web sites.
Microsoft has also promised to make some of the Silverlight technologies open source. This has been a popular decision among the computing industry, and has been a step away from the usual protection of their products.
- Dan Farber. "Ray Ozzie: Silverlight + .NET and ‘experience first’ software" — , April 30, 2007
- Darryl K. Taft. "Microsoft Hopes to Turn a Silverlight on Flash" — , April 30, 2007
- Matt Asay. "Adobe vs Microsoft battle turns to open source" — , April 30, 2007
- PR Newswire. "Electric Rain's New Harmony Application Lets Designers Use Flash Content in Windows Presentation Foundation and Silverlight" — , April 30, 2007
- Chris Kanaracus. "Telerik Already Prepping Silverlight Tools" — , April 30, 2007
- Paul Thurrott, WinInfo. "Microsoft Opens Web Conference" — , April 30, 2007
- Elizabeth Montalbano. "Microsoft to open source some of Silverlight" — , April 27, 2007
- Press Release: "Microsoft's Silverlight Helps Developers and Designers Light Up the Web for Customers" — , April 30, 2007