Nationalised bank Northern Rock sold to Virgin Money
Sunday, January 1, 2012
Today British Government to acquire the nationalised Newcastle upon Tyne-based bank for £747 million. During 2012, the bank will be rebranded as a Virgin company and the current Northern Rock customers will become customers of the enlarged Virgin Money.finalised a deal with the
The Northern Rock bank had beenfollowing the revelation that the company had received emergency support from the UK Government. Northern Rock had required support due to its exposure during the in 2007. Sir 's had a bid for the bank rejected prior to the bank’s nationalisation. In 2010, while nationalised, the current high street bank Northern Rock plc was split from the ‘bad bank’, . Virgin have only purchased the ‘good bank’ of Northern Rock, not the asset management company.
The deal which could have additional payments to put the total value of the sale to over £1 billion had been first announced on 17 November 2011 and was criticised by some as not being a good enough deal for taxpayers. Opposition such as therequested that the investigate the sale, and for it to be put on hold. By the beginning of 2012, the deal had been approved by the and the for merger clearance.
Jayne-Anne Gadhia will be Virgin Money's CEO and former deputy governor of the Bank of England, Sir, will be Chairman. Virgin have also pledged to maintain an operational headquarters in Newcastle upon Tyne as well as maintaining the current branches.
- "Nationalised UK bank Northern Rock appoints new chief executive" — Wikinews, July 23, 2008
- "UK Parliament discusses nationalisation of Northern Rock" — Wikinews, February 19, 2008
- "UK bank Northern Rock to be nationalised" — Wikinews, February 17, 2008
- "Queues form outside struggling UK bank; calm urged" — Wikinews, September 15, 2007
- "UK bank gets emergency support" — Wikinews, September 14, 2007
- "UKFI confirms completion of Northern Rock sale to Virgin Money" — , January 1, 2012
- Matt Falloon. "UK sells Northern Rock to Virgin despite protest" — , January 1, 2012
- "National Audit Office to investigate Northern Rock sale" — , December 17, 2011
- "Northern Rock sale announced by chancellor" — , November 17, 2011