North Korea offers amnesty to criminals, marking important holidays
Friday, January 21, 2022
As reported by the state-operated media outlet North Korean government has issued a decree granting amnesty to those found guilty of "crimes against the country and the people". The decree was instituted to mark former leaders and Kim Jong-il's upcoming birth anniversaries.on January 20, the
According to Voice of Korea, the decree was issued by theas decree No. 820. The decree will be effective as of January 30. The Supreme People's Assembly is "the highest organ of State power" in the country, as stated in the .
The birth anniversary of founding leader Kim Il-sung, titled the "", is held yearly on April 15, and the birth anniversary of second leader Kim Jong-il is held on February 16 under the name of " ". Both dates serve as important holidays in the North, with grandiose celebrations having taken place in previous years.
According to an article published by COVID-19 border closures to the North's dire economic situation., this pardoning is a way "to promote social unity amid economic hardships" and "to boost loyalty for the leader [ ]", linking
- "N. Korea announces amnesty for convicted people to mark late leaders' birthdays" — , January 20, 2022
- "Decree of DPRK SPA Standing Committee issued" — , January 20, 2022
- "Socialist Constitution of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea" — , 2017 (PDF)
- Samhero. "120415 Great performance of the 100th anniversary of Kim IL SUNG" — , April 15, 2012
- Samhero. "120217 Great performance-"Keep the loyalty from generation to generation"" — , February 17, 2012