North Korean leader Kim Jong Un oversees hypersonic missile test
Friday, January 14, 2022
On January 12, North Korean state-run newspaper reported a Tuesday launch attended by Kim Jong-un and high-ranking politicians and . This was the third missile North Korea (DPRK) launched this year. It flew for 1,000 kilometers (621 mi) before hitting sea, state media claimed.
"The Al Jazeera, professor Leif-Eric Easley at Ewha University in Seoul, South Korea said "[the] so-called hypersonic weapon is not technologically ready". at first downplayed the missile, but later said it showed "improvement", the reported.weapon representing the power of the DPRK" and of "superior maneuverability" was test-fired for "final verification of overall technical specifications", according to state media. In an email sent to
Earlier this year, North Korea conducted two missile tests: one last Wednesday, and a second one on Monday, which were confirmed by both South Korea and the Pyongyang, North Korea. After the September test, Panda called Hwasong-8 a "significant milestone" in comments to the BBC.. The first launch was a winter resilience test, state media claimed. North Korea tested their first hypersonic missile, , on September 28. Ankit Panda, a defence expert from , said last Wednesday's missile was not a Hwasong-8, but a new model unveiled at an October weapons exhibition in
On Monday, the United Nations (UN) missions of Albania, France, the Republic of Ireland, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States jointly called for dialogue and denounced the first test. The US ambassador to the UN called it "a significant threat to regional stability". On Tuesday, South Korean president Moon Jae-in said the tests worry him ahead of the country's scheduled for March.
Hypersonic missiles are faster and can evadedetection longer than regular , the BBC explained.
- "North Korean leader Kim Jong Un inaugurates the "Defence Development Exhibition 'Self-Defence-2021'"" — Wikinews, October 13, 2021
- "North Korea tests two missiles" — Wikinews, March 26, 2021
- Rodong Sinmun. "Distinguished Feat of WPK in History of Leading Juche-based Defence Industry Success in Another Hypersonic Missile Test-fire Respected Comrade Kim Jong Un Watches Test-fire in Field" — , January 12, 2021
- "주체적국방공업령도사에 아로새긴 조선로동당의 빛나는 공적 또다시 만천하에 과시" — , January 12, 2021
- "North Korea says Kim Jong-un oversaw third hypersonic missile test" — , January 12, 2021
- Choi Soo-hyang. "(3rd LD) N. Korea says it has succeeded in final test-firing of hypersonic missile" — , January 12, 2021
- "Kim backs ‘military muscle’ as he watches hypersonic missile test" — , January 12, 2021
- Rupert Wingfield-Hayes. "North Korea fires second suspected missile in six days" — , January 10, 2021
- Rodong Sinmun. "Hypersonic Missile Newly Developed by Academy of Defence Science Test-Fired" — , January 6, 2022
- Frank Gardner. "North Korea successfully tested hypersonic missile, says report" — , January 6, 2022
- "North Korea says it fired new 'hypersonic missile'" — , September 29, 2021