O. J. Simpson sentenced to 15 years in prison
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Former United States football player O.J. Simpson was sentenced to prison for 15 years yesterday morning, on charges of kidnapping and armed robbery of two sports memorabilia dealers at a hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada. Simpson's accomplice in the crime, one Clarence Stewart, was also given a thirty-three year sentence. Both will be eligible for parole in five years.
Simpson, aged 61, was arrested on twelve charges of kidnapping and armed robbery in which he and his accomplices used firearms to force two sports memorabilia dealers to give him several items that Simpson felt had been stolen from him.
Simpson, seeming close to tears, told the court for the first time on Friday that he was very sorry, and that he was only attempting to recover family heirlooms.
"I realize now that I was stupid, I didn't mean to hurt anyone, I'm sorry, I'm sorry for all of it," he said.
Judge Jackie Glass, however, described Simpson as arrogant and ignorant. "Everything in this case was on tape and it was your own words that have brought you here because we heard it all and what came out on the tapes [gave] evidence in this case was overwhelming," she said. "That was a violent event, guns were brought, at least one gun was drawn, the potential for harm in that room was tremendous," she continued. "You knew what was going on there. I have to tell you now that it was much more than stupidity."
Simpson will remain in solitary confinement for the entire period of the sentence due to his celebrity status. In total, Simpson will spend at least 9 years and as much as 33 years behind bars on a total of twelve charges.
- "OJ Simpson found guilty in kidnapping, armed robbery case" — Wikinews, October 4, 2008
- "O.J. Simpson arrested for assault and other charges" — Wikinews, September 16, 2007
- "O.J. Simpson named suspect in robbery" — Wikinews, September 14, 2007
- "OJ Simpson given lengthy sentence" — , December 5, 2008
- "OJ Simpson sentenced to 15 years in jail for kidnapping" — , December 5, 2008
- "Simpson gets prison sentence of at least nine years" — , December 5, 2008