Nigerian President Umaru Yar'Adua reported dead
Thursday, May 6, 2010
Presidential aides and state television announced yesterday that the Nigerian president, , died.
Yar'Adua ascended to the presidency in 2007, but was later taken ill, and had not been publicly seen for the last few months. He was hospitalised in Saudi Arabia, to get inflammated tissue around his heart treated; it was later diagnosed as .,
According to the BBC, Nigerian reports indicated the president died between 21.00 and 22.00 local time (20.00 to 21.00 UTC) in, the capital.
, the vice-president, became the acting president this February; under the constitution, he is to now be sworn in formally and will appoint a new vice-president.
Thebroadcast the news, saying: "The president and commander-in-chief of the armed forces, Umaru Musa Yar'Adua, died a few hours ago at the presidential villa. Security aides notified the national security adviser, General Anou Bissou, who immediately called the acting president. The late president has been ill for some time."
Ima Niboro, a spokesman for Goodluck Jonathan, commented: "The acting president is very sad with what has happened. The nation is mourning." Tomorrow is to be a national holiday, and Nigeria will observe a week of mourning for the deceased president.
In his statement, acting president Jonathan said: "Nigeria has lost the jewel on its crown, and even the heavens mourn with our nation tonight."
- "Nigerian parliament votes to make vice president acting president" — Wikinews, February 10, 2010
- "Nigerian President Yar'Adua is dead, says state TV" — , May 6, 2010
- "Nigerian President Umaru Yar'Adua dies: aides" — , May 5, 2010
- "Nigerian President Yar'Adua has died" — , May 5, 2010
- John Gambrell, Associated Press. "Nigeria President Yar'Adua dies after long illness" — , May 5, 2010