Top two aides quit US presidential candidate McCain's campaign
Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Nelson said, "It has been a tremendous honor to serve Senator McCain and work on his campaign," and "I believe John McCain is the most experienced and prepared candidate to represent the Republican Party and defeat the Democratic nominee next year."
Weaver's statement echoed that of Nelson: "It has been my honor and a distinct privilege to serve someone who has always put our country first. I believe that most Americans will come to the conclusion that I have long known there is only one person equipped to serve as our nation's chief executive and deal with the challenges we face, and that person is John McCain."
In a statement, McCain said the resignations were "accepted with regret and deep gratitude for their dedication, hard work and friendship." He further said, "I will continue to address the issues of greatest concern to the American people, laying out my vision for a secure and prosperous America."
Rick Davis will step in as campaign manager. Davis served in this capacity during McCain's 2000 presidential bid.
Last week, McCain announced financial information for his campaign. The US$11.2 million that were raised in the last three months placed him third among Republicans. The $2 million the campaign reported as cash-on-hand was viewed as a relatively small sum by analysts.
- John Whitesides. "McCain's top two aides quit his 2008 campaign" — , July 10, 2007
- Liz Sidoti, AP. "McCain Campaign Suffers Key Shakeups" — , July 10, 2007
- Press Release: "Statement by Rick Davis" — , July 10, 2007