UK court remands man in custody over Leytonstone knife attack
Tuesday, December 8, 2015
A UK court has remanded a man in custody after he appeared in court over a stabbing incident in the capital London. Muhaydin Mire, a 29-year-old from east London, was charged with attempted murder after reportedly at least two people were injured, one seriously, in on Saturday. The suspect, who spoke only to confirm personal details in yesterday's hearing at , is also set to appear at the on Friday.
The motivation for the attack is not yet clear, although prosecutors told yesterday's hearing imagery associated withwas thought to be on the suspect's phone. Witnesses reportedly heard the suspect shout the words "this is for Syria" when the attack occurred. The voted in favour of UK military action against Daesh in Syria three days earlier. The have said they are treating this attack as a terrorist incident.
David Cameron yesterday condemned the attack as "hideous" and praised the public and police response. "It's obviously a hideous attack," he said, "and we've all seen pictures of it and read about it and first of all, full credit to the person and people who took on this attacker, and full credit to the very brave police officers who managed to subdue him [...] I think this event simply showed again what brilliant and brave and dedicated people there are when it comes to our police officers." Earlier, leader said: "The stabbing in Leytonstone is absolutely shocking. My thoughts are with the victim and his family."
The Prime Minister also endorsed the sentiment of the phrase 'You ain't no Muslim, bruv', which one man is heard to shout in video of the suspect's arrest, and which subsequently became a Twitter trend. "Some of us have dedicated speeches and media appearances and soundbites and everything to this subject," Cameron said, "but 'you ain't no Muslim, bruv' said it all much better than I ever could and thank you because that will be applauded around the country." Additionally, , Labour Party candidate for , used the hashtag in a tweet in which he added: "To defeat extremism we must directly challenge their poisonous ideology".
- "UK charges man with attempted murder over Leytonstone attack" — , December 7, 2015
- "Leytonstone Tube stabbings: Man appears in court" — , December 7, 2015
- David Cameron says 'You ain't no Muslim bruv'" — , December 7, 2015 (Video) . "
- To defeat extremism we must directly challenge their poisonous ideology" — , December 6, 2015 . "
- "An attacker at Leytonstone tube reportedly said "this is for Syria" during knife assault" — , December 6, 2015
- Cmdr Walton re #Leytonstone" — , December 5, 2015 . "
- The stabbing in Leytonstone is absolutely shocking" — , December 5, 2015 . "
- "House of Commons Hansard Debates for 02 Dec 2015 (pt 0005)" — , December 2, 2015