MORE IMPORTANT NOTICE: I WILL NOT BE DOING MANY ARTICLES OVER THE SUMMER - IT SEEMS THE WIKINEWS STAFF HAS GROWN AND IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING AN IMPRESSIVE AMOUNT OF GOOD ARTICLES EACH DAY. I MAY RETURN FOR GOLF OR TENNIS MAJORS, BUT I WILL MOST LIKELY BE VERY VERY INACTIVE DURING THE SUMMER. I WILL STILL CHECK WIKINEWS OCCASIONALLY, BUT I NEED A VERY LONG WIKIBREAK. HAVE A GOOD SUMMER (OR WINTER FOR PEOPLE DOWN UNDER). Flipbaywood 00:45, 16 June 2006 (UTC)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: I CONSTANTLY WORK UNDER MY IP ADDRESS, 22.214.171.124. ALL EDITS FROM THIS IP ADDRESS SHOULD BE TREATED AS EDITS FROM ME. ANYBODY ELSE CLAIMING TO BE ME IS A FRAUD. THANK YOU. Flipbaywood 21:58, 5 June 2006 (UTC)
Also known as WriterFromAfar755 on Wikipedia User:ReporterFromAfar3136/Subpage You can check out my 'pedia page for more information, but basically, i'm just a guy with a lot of spare time who needs something to write, so i joined up. It's fun here, so I think I'm going to stay. I'd like to help more, and I'm considering helping with audio and print once I gain more experience. I'd love to do original reporting, but nothing much goes on in my hometown.
1. Voting is not evil. Just because one admin believes that something should be deleted versus 5 good editors that believe it should be kept. If it wasn't for voting (which is still sometimes overruled by zealous speedy deletionists), the admins would always win, which would make this a closed newsroom, not an open one.
2. For some reason, Wikinews seems to have a New Zealand-centric tendency, as displayed here, where New Zealand and Oceania categories have been added to an article about the PS3, whose manafacturing company is Japanese-owned. I'm not criticizing New Zealand's Wikinewsies (in fact, this is a sign that the rest of the world needs to keep pace with New Zealand), but that just seems odd to me.
3. Make sure to use the Developing articles feature. I've rashly published quite a few articles which needed to be categorized and spell-checked. Try at least 15 minutes, 3 hrs. max if news needs to be kept current. We don't want out of date stuff. (My opinion)
- March 15, 2006-Hawaiian dam bursts 1st article
- Featured-March 18, 2006-Train kills seven on TV show
- Featured-March 20, 2006-Cuba and Japan to play in WBC final
- Majorly contributed (basically made)-March 20, 2006-Federer wins Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells
- Majorly contributed-Lead story-March 21, 2006-Japan wins World Baseball Classic, 10-6 - 5th article
- March 29, 2006-Liberian president taken to war court
- April 5, 2006-Guinea's PM fired by President
- April 7, 2006-Lead story-Ship sinks off Djibouti, killing at least 109
- April 10, 2006-Phil Mickelson wins Masters - 10th article
- April 19, 2006-Sudan reports first bird flu case - Cub Reporter!!
- April 24, 2006-Microsoft and EU face off in Luxembourg court
- Complete rewrite-May 3, 2006-Earl Woods, father of Tiger Woods, dies at age 74
- May 16, 2006-7.4 magnitude hits Pacific near New Zealand
- May 21, 2006-Sweden wins World Ice Hockey Championships-15th article
- Majorly contributed (created dupe and added info from there)-Lead story-June 5, 2006-Alan Garcia wins Peruvian presidential election
- June 18, 2006-Second/Third lead-Geoff Ogilvy wins U.S. Open
- June 19, 2006-(not really big work)-Helped User:BrokenSegue clean up after User:Cspurrier on wheels!-Why do I have the feeling this is going to happen a lot more often?
General Wikinews Stuff
- Discussions flagged for community attention:
Template:Country data ASU
Template:Country data BUL
Template:Country data CUB
Template:Country data JPN
Template:Country data CHN
Template:Country data BEL
Template:Country data RUS
Template:Country data POL
Template:Country data ITA
Template:Country data NED
Template:Country data DOM
Template:Country data PHI
Template:Country data BRA
- Things needing doing:
Accreditation requests: Requests for permissions: Flagged revs requests: Instructor rights requests: Bot requests: FA candidates: Deletion discussions: Articles needing review: Developing articles: 32 of ≤ Flagged discussions:
Start a new article
To report on a news event, check if it is already being covered. If not, . For more guidance, see Wikinews:Writing an article. Got news, but no time to write a full article or a quick brief? Tell us what news you would like to see covered by Wikinews at Wikinews:Requested articles.
April 19, 2006