User talk:Andreas -horn- Hornig
Andreas -horn- Hornig, welcome to Wikinews! I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are a few good links for newcomers:
Our key policies - if you read anything, read these!
- Wikinews:Neutral point of view - tell every side to a story in a fair and balanced way
- Wikinews:Cite sources - everything in a Wikinews article must be sourced
Here a few pointers to help you get to know Wikinews:
- Wikinews:Introduction - overview of the site
- Wikinews:Writing an article - how to write and publish a complete article
- Wikinews:Content guide - what's suitable for Wikinews
- Wikinews:Style guide - how articles should look before publishing
- Wikinews:Contents - the contents page.
There are always things to do on Wikinews:
- Existing articles need expanding and checking for spelling and mistakes
- The front page lead articles often need updating
- Developing stories need finishing and publishing
- Discussions need your input
- Audio Wikinews could always use more contributors
- And of course, stories need writing!
By the way, you can sign your name on Talk pages using four tildes (~~~~), which produces your name and the current date. If you have any questions, you can ask them at the water cooler or to anyone on the Welcommittee, or ask me on my Talk page. Again, welcome! --Brian McNeil / talk 23:21, 21 December 2007 (UTC)
I went throught and copyedited this, bumped it to today's date and published it. Can you check I've kept to the facts as I read them out of the translation? (i.e. if you translated what we have now to German would it match the German story's content?).
Points from the c/e.
- Location. I removed this, on en.wn we only use that for on the spot reporting of something.
- Hyphenation. I assume (I know virtually nil German) this is from German compound words - actually a good way to pass on the meaning but needs C/E'd out.
- Shorter sentences. I'm guilty of this too. If you keep sentences in English short it is less likely their meaning will be ambiguous. There are ways to use ";" and so to join things but don't worry about that unless you've got a key goal of contributing to en.wn to improve your English. ;-)
Anyway, thanks for the story - I'm not sure if we covered a similar issue I'm aware of. The U.K.'s Football Association asserts rights over the fixtures list and demands a usage fee too. We did have discussion of that in project space as we wanted to use the information.
If you do another one, hop into IRC on freenode, channel #wikinews, and ask if someone can do a copyedit for you. Oh - and have a look at the template I added for the translation message.
- hi Brian, I think the meaning of the article is still there after your edit. so thx for the quicklook. I just added the location, because I think hardly any person out there knows where Münster is, because it is not one of Germanysbigest citys, this was just to be sure. but I will stick to your rules in here. and you can be sure that it is not myaim to improve my english in here. I just don't want to have a mistake in here because asyou can see I am no native speaker and it COULD hapen that I left out some letters or mixed up a tense ;).
- I am not an IRC person, but I will connect and ask there for help :)
- If you had covered some similar news we could link to this news (as we do in the German version of de.wikinews). and this point of negotion of the companys really pisses me of to control really each and every tiny bit of information, even the unimportant ones, which should be under public domain. otherwise youare virtually not allowed to tell anyone who one the match or what a show or movie will be shown in an instance.
- I also had done some translation  from E to G but it has to interest me. but If you have some important or interesting news, why not :). but please, no booklengthy news ;). greets, and thx alot.
- hi, luckyly someone did that. it's a pitty, that just some few are willing to help me as a first time poster to doit right. but it's always easier to delete then to change. :) so thanks for your notice. I changed the remarked "you" in the news. so, what do you think is left to be done? greets, --Andreas -horn- Hornig (talk) 17:13, 29 November 2008 (UTC)
Sorry, you are not allow to review articles that you started. Unfortunately we can not publish the article as it is about something that happened more then 3 days ago. Anonymous101talk 16:23, 4 December 2008 (UTC)
- hi, in that case something is not fully working in here. I know that the german wikinews is slow in reviewing articles, but this here is even worse. if nobody cares about reviewing articles the "rule to delete old news" is worthless in my opinion. there has to be a mechanism to safe articles and not just to delete them. greets, --Andreas -horn- Hornig (talk) 18:19, 4 December 2008 (UTC)
Your Simpsons article
Thanks for your message to my talk page. I am sorry to see that your last article got deleted to a delay in publication. I certainly do not want this to happen to your Simpsons article, but I do not think it is quite ready to be published yet.
So, instead of reviewing it now, I will improve it so it is ready for publishing, mark it for review, and do all I can to make sure it is published today so it is not marked as old news.
Thanks for your contributions to Wikinews,
hi and first of all thanks for your help. the previous deletion process is the way it is, so you don't have to sorry. I want to contribute something and now I'm trying it again as long as it will be successfull ;). any change to improve the article is welcome, and in case, it will be deleted again, the learning progress will help me ;). so, please tell me, how to help you. greets, --Andreas -horn- Hornig (talk) 16:05, 15 February 2009 (UTC)
- yeahah! :) thanks a lot! I hope to add more submissions in the future, at least I will do my very best to translate my de.wikinews articles :). greets, --Andreas -horn- Hornig (talk) 09:57, 17 February 2009 (UTC)
No, the article cannot be published. This is because, as other users have quite rightly pointed out, the article is becoming stale. You need to either find some sources from the past 2-3 days, or give up on trying to get this article published and start a new one. Do not publish this article! And please don't be down-hearted by this failure. You can always try again. Remember, I had difficulties with writing articles at first. But now, I have gone on to write over 100 published articles. (Sorry for bragging.) I would suggest that you read about this guide, which will help you to write an article. I would also advise you to enter the 2010 writing contest. I'm enjoying it so far. Make sure that you read the rules and regulations carefully. I do appreciate that they can be a little bit difficult to understand. And don't forget to add the special hidden categories that get you points - for example, for me, I would write the following at the bottom of the article: [[Category:Rayboy8 (WWC2010)]] and [[Category:Writing contest 2010]]. Good luck for 2010! --Rayboy8 (my talk) (my contributions) 22:20, 14 February 2010 (UTC)
- hi, added international sources (because I think german ones will be difficult as well). so there are some sources for newsworthyness (like I mentioned before by posting a link do news.google.com). so, what else is to be done? --Andreas -horn- Hornig (talk) 23:22, 14 February 2010 (UTC)
Can you provide some of the email exchange around setting up the interview for Wikinewsies who would qualify as "independent" to build the intro/outro? scoop <at> wikinewsie <dot> org should do nicely for that. --Brian McNeil / talk 23:01, 15 August 2010 (UTC)
- Hi Brian, what is this scoop email address? if this is th email address for the archive I will send a copy of my email to it. And I don't really know another wikinewsie, who could write the intro/outro :), or do I understand you wrong? Please remember, English is not my native tongue. best regards, --Andreas -horn- Hornig (talk) 23:06, 15 August 2010 (UTC)
- The scoop e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org. Your best location to talk about your interview article is the IRC channel. --Killing Vector (talk) 01:53, 22 August 2010 (UTC)