Deprifry/Archive1, welcome to Wikinews! I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are a few good links for newcomers:
Our key policies - if you read anything, read these!
- Wikinews:Neutral point of view - tell every side to a story in a fair and balanced way
- Wikinews:Cite sources - everything in a Wikinews article must be sourced
Here a few pointers to help you get to know Wikinews:
- Wikinews:Introduction - overview of the site
- Wikinews:Writing an article - how to write and publish a complete article
- Wikinews:Content guide - what's suitable for Wikinews
- Wikinews:Style guide - how articles should look before publishing
- Wikinews:Contents - the contents page.
There are always things to do on Wikinews:
- Existing articles need expanding and checking for spelling and mistakes
- The front page lead articles often need updating
- Developing stories need finishing and publishing
- Discussions need your input
- Audio Wikinews could always use more contributors
- And of course, stories need writing!
By the way, you can sign your name on Talk pages using four tildes (~~~~), which produces your name and the current date. If you have any questions, you can ask them at the water cooler or to anyone on the Welcommittee, or ask me on my Talk page. Again, welcome! → CGorman (Talk) 18:29, 11 July 2005 (UTC)
Thanks for battling the vandal this morning! I blocked him, but was a bit late. A tip: when vandalism happens, as soon as you get a chance from reverting him, click the Real-time chat link above and try getting hold of an admin to get the vandal blocked. Try looking to see which admins are in the room, then type their names to get their attention (I'm usually around). Dan100 (Talk) 10:03, 26 July 2005 (UTC)
- No problem :). I'll try to remember to get into the chat next time. --Deprifry 10:34, July 26, 2005 (UTC)
The Medal of Persistence
Thanks for all the work you do in reverting vandals. --Cspurrier 12:01, 22 August 2005 (UTC)
- Wow. A medal :-). Thanks a lot. --Deprifry 12:05, August 22, 2005 (UTC)
Hi there, i figured you might still be working on it so didn't want to disturb the title, but I think it should be 'green-lights', not lit ClareWhite 08:52, 25 August 2005 (UTC)
- Thanks for the hint. I've moved the story. --Deprifry 09:03, August 25, 2005 (UTC)
Heh, that hadn't occured to me, but it makes sense. Who bothers building this sort of thing? Still, maybe even bots can be turned into good editors with a bit of persuasion ClareWhite 14:05, 26 August 2005 (UTC)
New Main Page design proposal
not jewish -> jewish
Well spotted! Thanks for fixing that up.... - Borofkin 09:16, 1 September 2005 (UTC)
- No problem :). Great story btw. --Deprifry 09:31, September 1, 2005 (UTC)
You deal with so many spammers and vandals I think it is about time you had the extra tools to stop them quicker. I would like to nominate you for adminship, will you accept?
In case you are not familiar with the RFA process, after some one nominates you and you accept, the community votes, assuming you do not get much opposition, in a week you become an admin.--Cspurrier 18:20, 8 September 2005 (UTC)
- Uh. I'm flattered, thanks. But I'm not sure I'm ready for that just yet. I've only been contributing to WN like on a daily basis for a month, so I think I need a little more time before I can make a good admin, get familiar with all the policies and technical stuff. But again, thanks for asking. I appreciate that. --Deprifry 18:47, September 8, 2005 (UTC)
- Ok, when ever you are ready let me know :) --Cspurrier 18:48, 8 September 2005 (UTC)
- Will do that. Thanks :). --Deprifry 18:53, September 8, 2005 (UTC)
Thanks for your story
Thanks alot for your little Winnipeg story there Deprifry. Too bad there is no metro here for those "thousand sharpened elbows" you talked about. Also, that this darker grey breaking through the lighter one makes absolutely no sense in one of the 2 sunniest cities in Canada and our gas prices here are no where near as bad as yours. Also not too sure what you mean about the bus, because most buses run the same route every day. He's called the Golden Boy, not the Golden Business Boy. So before you go slamming my city, check your facts. I'm not sure what someone coming from some town 1/8 the size of Winnipeg has making fun of us but i don't know, maybe you're jealous about us kicking your ass in WW2 or something. So ya, nice try, but you fail. --126.96.36.199 01:31, 6 October 2005 (UTC)
- I think you misunderstood the thing. It's actually a song by the Winnipeg band The Weakerthans and I think they quite like their hometown. --Deprifry|+T+ 05:01, 6 October 2005 (UTC)
User: Rcameronw has been blocked for requesting de-admin vote and alleged "trolling"
Just wanted to let people know that, following yesterday's discussion, user rcameronw has been blocked for 24 hours. It was decided that rcameronw's request for a de-admin vote constituted "site disruption". (see article talk page for more info:)
Pad thumbnail images
An example of 12 pixel padding image thumbnails from story text. Looks a bit better than images and story text touching. Seems to be browser-dependent; this looks like a fair compromise. Hope that helps!