Electricmic, welcome to Wikinews! I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are a few good links for newcomers:
Our key policies - if you read anything, read these!
- Wikinews:Neutral point of view - tell every side to a story in a fair and balanced way
- Wikinews:Cite sources - everything in a Wikinews article must be sourced
Here a few pointers to help you get to know Wikinews:
- Wikinews:Introduction - overview of the site
- Wikinews:Writing an article - how to write and publish a complete article
- Wikinews:Content guide - what's suitable for Wikinews
- Wikinews:Style guide - how articles should look before publishing
- Wikinews:Contents - the contents page.
There are always things to do on Wikinews:
- Existing articles need expanding and checking for spelling and mistakes
- The front page lead articles often need updating
- Developing stories need finishing and publishing
- Discussions need your input
- Audio Wikinews could always use more contributors
- And of course, stories need writing!
By the way, you can sign your name on Talk pages using four tildes (~~~~), which produces your name and the current date. If you have any questions, you can ask them at the water cooler or to anyone on the Welcommittee, or ask me on my Talk page. Again, welcome!--Cspurrier - (talk) 01:48, 13 March 2008 (UTC)
hi Electricmic, Welcome to Wikinews! the Cassini article has come along well and i look forward to more such reports from you.
to answer your questions,
- it's entirely appropriate to remove tags after fixing the issues raised.
- adding a publish tag moves the article to the main page, no administrator action is needed. so a little caution and a final check is a good idea :)
- the disputed categories will disappear when you remove the dispute tags.
- for a story to end up on the main page, it needs to have a recent publish date, have the publish tag and not have any dispute tags. incidentally, i've "bumped" the date of the Cassini article from 12th to today - the day it was actually published. that's the way it's supposed to be done.
hope that answers your doubts. feel free to ask for help on my talk page or at the Water cooler. finally, as with Wikipedia, be bold in writing and publishing articles, any mistakes can be easily fixed. and once again, welcome! –Doldrums(talk) 07:14, 15 March 2008 (UTC)
I notice that you are using sources from March 17 or earlier. Since there are many developments since the 17th, I suggest that you include them. You can see here for some of the stories: Florida news but there are many more out there. --SVTCobra 01:14, 20 March 2008 (UTC)