You were mentioned in the Boston Globe.  My mom, who lives in Cambridge, sent me the news clipping by snail mail. Oh, sorry, you might not know me. I'm Uncle Ed from the English wikipedia. Ed Poor 30 June 2005 01:52 (UTC)
- Thanks, Ed. I discovered recently that *lots* of people read the Boston Globe-- everyone's mom seems to be sending them clippings. Anyway, thanks for the tip. Pingswept 8 July 2005 18:54 (UTC)
I'm attempting to start up a new edition of Wikinews, one with a simpler user contributions system at m:Wikinews/Start a new edition#Open English. The goals of this project would be to simplify the process of submitting articles such that anyone with no knowledge of the Mediawiki software or the Wikimedia projects culture can easily understand and submit an article, and immediately see it on the main page developing articles section.
If you would be interested in supporting this project I would be pleased if you would sign up at the Meta page.
- There seems to be some controversy about this. I'm going to hold off on weighing in until I think about it some more. Who are you, by the way? Pingswept 8 July 2005 18:55 (UTC)
I'd like to interview you
I'm working on a report about user-contributed content for Jupiter Research, and I'm interested in getting the perspective of someone who knows Wikinews. Lisa Williams at http://h2otown.info suggested I talk to you.
FWIW, I have my own news blog at http://coastsider.com
Barry Parr email@example.com
- Hi Barry,
- I just sent you an email. And hi everyone. Pingswept 04:06, 24 August 2005 (UTC)
- Mr. Parr, I would also be interested in being interviewed if you want another perspective. -- NGerda 04:13, August 24, 2005 (UTC)
For a good time...
- And come back, shane! Sj
My extended wikivacation has ended.
In the spring of 2005, I had a discouraging job in the product design field, followed by a period of no job, both of which led to extreme Wikinews usage. I worked at a boys' summer camp in Maine last summer, so I didn't have time or regular access to the interweb. At the end of the summer, I scored a delightful new job as the chief technology guy at the same institution, which meant that my available time for Wikinews went way down.
Strangely, I have been doing ever more with wikis, even as my Wikinews contributions have dropped off. I gave a talk at the MEBSR conference in Belfast, Maine, about wikis as a collaborative tool for businesses, and I've installed several wikis (well, 2) for internal use at the environmental foundation that now employs me.
Anyway. I'm going to try to make more of an effort to contribute to Wikinews. Wikimania 2006 is taking place about 4 blocks from my house in Cambridge, MA, so my general level of wiki excitement is still growing. So, hi ho, everyone! Pingswept 19:19, 19 November 2005 (UTC)
- Glad your back. By the way thanks for getting the photo test off the main page. I feel really stupid right now that I forgot that the publish tag would publish it and still be there one I copied and pasted it. Bawolff ☺☻ 00:04, 20 November 2005 (UTC)
- Unstrangely, u installed a couple wikis at your environmental foundation... :) sounds collaborative! -Edbrown05 01:58, 20 November 2005 (UTC)
- Somehow I end up being both the biggest hippie there, wanting to install wikis and such, and yet simultaneously the least hippieish, being obsessed with computers instead of trees and rainbows. But, I get paid to install wikis-- I have no complaints. Pingswept 05:00, 20 November 2005 (UTC)
- I am quite happy for you to be back as well. I arrived at Wikinews after you started your wikibreak; glad to meet you now! --Chiacomo (talk) 05:22, 20 November 2005 (UTC)
reporter with questions
My name is Chris Thompson, and I'm a reporter with the East Bay Express. I'm working on a story about the Dorean Group and am intrigued by the letter you got from its neighbors. Could you call me at 510-879-3766?
MS office Kiswahili
Hi, I'm Gozar from the en wikipedia. i just read this article and thought you might be interested. I searched for Swahili open-source word processors immediately after reading the above article and found your news bit on the Jambo open-office (will be checking out the site momentarily). I'm not surprised that it looks like MS doesnt want to miss out on selling stuff to (exploiting) East Africans!--Gozar 15:17, 15 December 2005 (UTC)
Could you please insert license to your images at Commons from GPL3 draft presentation? It's quite urgent thing.
BTW, congratulations for the article. --Derbeth 09:32, 17 January 2006 (UTC)
- Done. Nice catch-- I had added the license to one image, but not the other. Pingswept 02:14, 18 January 2006 (UTC)
I'm not sure where to ask (please point me in the right direction), but where can I go to ask for an account rename? Thanks. - Nathan 20:05, 16 March 2006 (UTC)
- Hi Nathan,
- I assume you've figured this out by now; let me know if you're still stuck. Pingswept 12:24, 20 April 2006 (UTC)
This is a message to inform you that I have added every administrator to the Rfda section on WN:A. This is not personal and I feel as if the community, who did not have the option of voting for or against most of the administrators, should be able to choose who they want to be in charge. I also want to say that I value everyones work on this site and I know that everyone does their best. I hope that none of you will take this personally and I hope that all of us will continue to work together. Jason Safoutin 12:24, 27 May 2006 (UTC)
Hey Pingswept! A few of us were sitting around at a Wikimania meeting talking about how we haven't heard from you in a while, so I thought I'd drop you a note to say "Howdy!" jkbaumga 20:46, 8 July 2006 (UTC)
- Yes! I'll be in Boston from the 3rd until the morning of the 8th. If you'll be in town at all during that time, I have a couple of things for you... (none of them taken from SJ's house, either!) - Amgine | talk en.WN 23:12, 20 July 2006 (UTC)
- I think I will be in Boston late on Friday the 4th. It would be fun to hang out for a bit. Unfortunately, I have a flight to Buffalo early Saturday morning. Is there a Wikinews gathering that night? Pingswept 23:25, 20 July 2006 (UTC)
- Unfortunately, I think only Chiacomo, Mindspillage, and I plan to be attending. <sighs> But I'm sure we can try to get together on Friday. I'll be staying in Boston, but working the press desk at the conference. I should be available most any time during the events. Will you be able to come down? - Amgine | talk en.WN 00:00, 21 July 2006 (UTC)
New Policy has users up in smoke
Hello. I am not sure if you check this page anymore, but I thought you might be interested as to what is going on here at Wikinews: Wikinews:Image use policy/New wikimedia policy action plan. I am outraged as well as others...do you have an opinion? DragonFire1024 09:52, 30 March 2007 (UTC)
Wikinews credential reconfirmation
Greetings. You have not left any contact information, and so I must ask you through your talk page: are you still interested in keeping your Wikinews press credentials? If you are, inform me through emailing me or my Wikipedia talk page by August 5. MessedRocker (talk) 05:49, 5 July 2008 (UTC)
Greetings, I wanted to let you know that our policy regarding accreditation has recently changed slightly. Specifically we've enacted an automatic expiration of accreditation after 2 years. You can very easily "re-up" your accreditation should you choose to, but at this point in time you're on the Inactive list. As such your accreditation will automatically be revoked on March 15th unless you request otherwise. Currently, posting to the following thread will keep your accreditation. At a later date, all Accredited reporters will be put in for that "re-up", at which time you'll be notified. Thank you, and should you have any questions, feel free to contact me on my talk page. --ShakataGaNai ^_^ 20:33, 4 March 2010 (UTC)