Hello, can you please weigh in at the Wikinews:Admin action alerts page, at the heading: Wikinews:Admin_action_alerts#Please_add_to_Category:Comedy, on your thoughts about specifically why a "Comedy" category on Wikinews would be helpful and useful? Thanks, Wilhelm 05:45, 10 January 2008 (UTC).
- Oh-key-D'ho-key, Wilhelm. RichardF 03:39, 11 January 2008 (UTC)
- Feel like providing any further comment in that section, or have you said your piece? Wilhelm 22:28, 13 January 2008 (UTC).
- I have now. I think I've reached my quota of nay-sayers for one day. RichardF 22:48, 13 January 2008 (UTC)
I've applied the category to a selection of these articles - but not all. I moved the discussion from Admin alerts to the category talk page and flagged it. I think we need to iron out a degree of consensus over what is and isn't comedy in a news setting. --Brian McNeil / talk 10:29, 14 January 2008 (UTC)
- Absotively! ;-) RichardF 12:11, 14 January 2008 (UTC)
- Can you create the Wikinews subpage for the Comedy category, since you seem to have a better idea about the coding that should go into the DPL stuff for it? Wilhelm 22:00, 14 January 2008 (UTC).
- Okay. I used the new-improved code added by Bawolff at the bot page to start. When I included "notcategory=Wackynews" it only kicked out an explicitly approved article, so I commented it out, for now anyway. See Category:Comedy/Wikipedia and w:Portal:Comedy/News/Wikinews. You can decide how you want to add the list to the portal. Happy editing! :-)RichardF 02:37, 15 January 2008 (UTC)
Do not be discouraged
There are always "overly conservative" elements on WP, do not let them discourage you from promoting interwiki cooperation.
For any of the sister projects - such as wikinews - to thrive then they must get directed traffic from Wikipedia. The latter project has some quite conservative contributors who have in the past suggested that all sister projects be closed (c.f. River's board run). Personally I think Wikipedia has reached a mass where it needs to allow participants to branch out into sister projects - just to get the link on a portal. It ties in with the "do we want Wikinews to be a credible source" debate and offers WP contributors the chance to do some work over here that - while obsolete in a couple weeks time - becomes part of the history surrounding an event or person.
In summary - don't give up easily. --Brian McNeil / talk 14:46, 13 January 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks, Brian. I appreciate your encouragement and support! As a charter member of the Userbox migration with about a gazillion related userpage edits, I'm not totally unfamiliar with WP wikier-than-thou attitudes. ;-) That's why I can see this particular obits edit war needs "backup" if the bot is going to survive there. If it's just me vs. the self-appointed hit man, it's not going to happen. For now, I'd rather spend my time on this particular bot project spreading seeds, and let those more in the know here pick up on specific WP resistance issues when they appear. Of course, I'll do what I can to smooth things over first, but I won't be able to overcome any vigilantes on my own. If the support for a particular use over there come from over here, I'm sure things will work themselves out in the long run. Thanks again! :-) RichardF 16:45, 13 January 2008 (UTC)
Hi. Your recent edits are creating links to portals for subdivisons/territories that we do not yet have. Whether or not you intend to create these portals, I would discourage it, since we can't even maintain the portals that we already have. Cheers, --SVTCobra 02:32, 25 January 2008 (UTC)
- I just copied the links on the existing footers. I don't like red links either, so I'll delete them and let someone else revert. :-) RichardF 02:35, 25 January 2008 (UTC)
Care to specify an email in your preferences? Cirt 17:22, 29 January 2008 (UTC)
- I'm in a bit of a catch-22. It wants to confirm my e-mail, but my e-mail keeps deleting it as spam. It's a goofy spam blocker I've never been able to get to behave properly. If you know the confirmation e-mail address, I can add it to my address book so I can get the confirmation!!!! >-;o) RichardF 18:13, 29 January 2008 (UTC)
- Eh, no worries. Cirt 18:22, 29 January 2008 (UTC)
- Okay, then just sign up for Change.org, track me down, and ask to be my friend! :-) RichardF 19:31, 29 January 2008 (UTC)
- Signed up, couldn't find you. Cirt 19:37, 29 January 2008 (UTC)
Okay, here's a clue, jeesh! "Richard F" ;-) RichardF 20:21, 29 January 2008 (UTC)
- By the way. Wikimedia wikis send the confirm email from firstname.lastname@example.org . Bawolff ☺☻ 23:49, 29 January 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks! Now, my personal e-mail is so busted it won't even start! >;-o) RichardF 00:28, 30 January 2008 (UTC)
- Message sent. :) Cirt 23:52, 29 January 2008 (UTC)
- You're in! :-) RichardF 00:28, 30 January 2008 (UTC)