Wikinews Shorts: May 17, 2007
A compilation of brief news reports for Thursday, May 17, 2007.
PlayStation Portable to sell products online
have announced that a (PSP) store is in the works, it will be very similar to the (PS3) store that is already online.
It will allow the purchasing and downloading of games directly through to PSPs. This will allow the downloading and playing of PSPs as well as(PS1) games, which can already be downloaded from the PS3 Store and transferred to PSPs using official firmware.
analyst Colin Sebastian suggested that Sony is changing their views on the PSP and a new one could be in the works.
- Adam. "The PSP Store" — , May 17, 2007
- James Orry. "Sony reveals PSP Store" — , May 17, 2007
- Kris Graft. "Analyst: New PSP "Definitely" Coming" — , May 17, 2007
Canadian plane en route to Wilmington, Delaware, USA crashes; kills 3 people
At 9:30 a.m. EDT this morning, a small Canadian plane, identified as a , crashed near in , , 50 kilometres southwest of . The two passengers and the pilot onboard were killed but their identities are still not known. The aircraft was destroyed.
The plane was USA.from , to in , ,
The pilot was concerned about the left engine breaking and, instead, planned to land in Dunkirk, New York but crashed in the woods, less than a kilometre away from the airport.
Theand the are currently investigating. There is no word if will be entering into the investigation to help identify the bodies.
- "Three men killed in Dunkirk plane crash" — , May 17, 2007
- "3 die as Canadian plane crashes in New York state" — , May 17, 2007
- Associated Press and Canadian Press. "Small Canadian plane crashes near Buffalo" — , May 17, 2007
Poll: Finns favor gender-equality in pay
A majority of 78% favored higher pay raises for public sector professions like nursing, that are predominantely female. The survey also found that densely populated areas, tend to be more in favor of gender equality.
The current, lead by Prime Minister , has a female majority of 12 women and 8 men.
- "Great majority support incomes agreement that promotes equality" — , May 16, 2007
- "Government wants to encourage fathers to stay at home to care for children" — , May 11, 2007
NPD Group releases game sales for April
dominated sales for the month of April with its portable and its gaming console the at the top of the charts. 's and came in third and fourth respectively. 's continued to put up satisfactory sales coming in fifth. Sony's continues to lack sales-wise, coming in behind the Nintendo's for the third month in a row.
Approximately 360,000 units of the Wii were sold at USD$250. Nintendo sold more than 1.7 milliongames.
The Xbox 360 sold approximately 174,000 units.
The PlayStation 3 seen some low sales in April selling only 82,000 units, 37% lower from March.
Full NPD Sales:
- Nintendo DS - 471,000
- Wii - 360,000
- PlayStation 2 - 194,000
- PlayStation Portable - 183,000
- Xbox 360 - 174,000
- Game Boy Advance - 84,000
- PlayStation 3 - 82,000
- - 13,000
- Npd. "Nintendo Dominated NPD sales" — , May 17, 2007
- Scott Hillis. "April video game sales rose 20 percent" — , May 17, 2007
- Press Release: Jonathan Metts. "Nintendo Claims Another Month of Sales Victory in April" — , May 17, 2007