Wikinews Shorts: May 26, 2008
A compilation of brief news reports for Monday, May 26, 2008.
23 die as bus and truck collide in Hamedan, Iran
23 people have died after a bus and a truck collided in Iran's Hamedan province on a road to Tehran yesterday. The crash comes two months after 22 students died when their bus had a fiery crash with a fuel tanker in Southwest Iran. Iran's roads have one of the world's worst safety records due to poor maintenance, reckless driving and inadequate police attention.
- Kalantari and Hossein Jaseb and Matthew Jones. "Iran bus crash kills 23 - report" — , May 26, 2008
- "Iran 23 killed in Iran bus accident" — , May 26, 2008
Myanmar embassy in Thailand hit by fire
No-one was injured after a fire broke out in Myanmar's embassy in Thailand, but the second floor was completely destroyed, as were sections of the roof, leaving the building unable to supply the visas many aid workers are still waiting for after Cyclone Nargis hit the country. The fire is said to have been caused by an electrical fault.
- "Fire at Myanmar's Thai embassy" — , May 26, 2008
- "Fire at Myanmar embassy in Thailand; no injuries reported" — , May 26, 2008
Harry Potter actor stabbed to death
18-year old actor Rob Knox, who will appear as Marcus Belby in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, to be released in the US and UK in November, was stabbed to death trying to protect his 16-year old brother from two men in a bar in Sidcup, London, England.
- Daniel Sanderson & Carole Aye Maung. "Harry Potter Star Stabbed to Death" — , May 25, 2008
- BBC News. "Potter film actor killed in fight" — , May 24, 2008