Wikinews talk:Wikinews needs you!
How about a new question--Why write for Wikinews? Good reporting is more than a hobby--it's a full time job. Why become an anonymous contributor listed on a back page when you can sign up with a more focused news organization and focus your efforts? That's what I'm interested in.--126.96.36.199 01:18, 14 September 2005 (UTC)Zaorish
Why this page?
After listening to the criticism about the site, and being slightly unhappy with low numbers of new editors, I'm hoping this new page will turn things around a bit.
It answers many of the criticisms in a page many people will visit first after arriving at the site. It also explains explicitly that it's written by anyone and everyone (not everyone arriving here for the first time know about wikis). It explains the kinds of articles we write, and hopefully hooks people into wanting to write their own articles! It then diverts people to the Workspace, where hopefully they will get stuck in.
I've expanded the excellent list of links from Welcome slightly and turned it into a contents page.
- Should also mention that this is a single purpose page, ie a way of grabbing the attention of people who click on 'you can write' (on the front page most likely casual browsers) and no more. Dan100 (Talk) 08:33, 10 Jun 2005 (UTC)
The article suggests blogging as a way to voice opinion. Is that meant to imply that people are encouraged not to use their wikinews user pages to voice their opinions - particularly their analysis of the quality/biias of wikinews coverage? --Nerd42 21:47, 19 December 2005 (UTC)
- This article specifically concerns itself with Wikinews article pages, not user pages. I think use of User pages for reviewing the organization's performance is a time-honored tradition :-) -- IlyaHaykinson 21:49, 19 December 2005 (UTC)
- Perhaps it should mention that then when it suggests blogger - it could suggest "blogger and/or your own user page" --Nerd42 02:59, 20 December 2005 (UTC)
I read the whole page, but nowhere does it suggest that I create an account. In all the other wiki's I've participated in, logging in was highly promoted. Am I just missing something, or does that not matter as much here?
Time to update?
Is it time to update this page? It's a bit dated.
I was thinking along the lines of something like this being added:
Why write / edit Wikinews?
In writing for or editing Wikinews, you will be:
- Supporting free knowledge: By making NPOV news available to everyone with internet access.
- Making issues heard: Promoting worthy causes and bringing attention to worthy points.
- I see no problem with that. Bawolff ☺☻ 17:44, 25 June 2006 (UTC)
Fingers Crossed: BP Prepares to Test Cap Installed on Well
After robots secure a new, tight-fitting cap on top of the gushing oil well in the Gulf, BP prepares to test to see if the contraption will stop fresh oil from polluting the waters for the first time in nearly three months.