Wikinews visits haunted attraction 'Doc Wilkes House of Horrors'
Saturday, October 10, 2015
Wikinews visited 'Doc Wilkes House of Horrors' located in Longview, Texas recently for a private tour. Co-owner Laura Wilkes led the tour and introduced a select number of actors featured in the haunt.
The attraction offers a broad array of elaborate sets and rooms, professionally designed to scare attendees. A broad host of costumed actors finish out the horror-related theme for customers.
Wilkes said the attraction's physical design is meant to, "...play on peoples' natural fears--the dark, narrow passageways, those types of things."
Attendees are greeted by the presence of an antique hearse near the main entrance and the queue area is designed to present a spooky atmosphere with an array or arcane relics.
The haunt's namesake and co-owner, Eugene 'Doc' Wilkes is heavily involved in the attraction's operations. Wilkes has a lengthy performing history, having been a magician and western style actor for many years.
The cast of ghouls includes a human doll, several creepy clowns and other scary attractions. Elaborate lighting and sound effects also heighten the sensory experience.
The haunt is open Friday and Saturday evenings through October, with one Thursday special 'Blackout Night' planned for October 22. This year marks the attraction's 13th consecutive year of operation.
- "Wikinews interviews Kristian Hanson, producer-director of indie horror film 'Sledge'" — Wikinews, October 23, 2014
- "Haunted attractions in Texas prepare for 2013 Halloween season" — Wikinews, September 12, 2013
- Doc Wikes House of Horrors. "Welcome" — docwilkeshaunt.com, October 10, 2015
- Texas Haunted Houses. "Doc Wilkes House of Horrors" — texashauntedhouses.com, October 2, 2015
- "East Texas Halloween events" — Longview News-Journal, October 21, 2011