Eleven killed in train crash in northern Victoria, Australia
Tuesday, June 5, 2007
The collision, which occurred at 1:40 p.m., was approximately 10 km north of the town of , on the .
The train involved in the accident was a service from, which departed at 1:00 p.m. from , and was destined for . The train was comprised of a locomotive and three carriages.
Witness reports say that the semi-trailer collided into the second of the three carriages, and then detached the third carriage from the remainder of the train and causing it to derail. The whole side of the second carriage was ripped open from the direct impact of the semi-trailer.
The injured have been transferred from the scene to hospitals in the area, including Kerang and, by . and have been used to transfer patients to Melbourne, as local hospitals struggle with the sudden influx of patients. The driver of the semi-trailer has been moved to the hospital in Mildura in "critical condition", according to police at the scene.
The train had 39 people on board the 1:00 p.m. service, according to train documents. This included three staff employed by the train operator V/Line, who have all been accounted for and are not injured. Of the 36 passengers on the train, it has been reported that 23 have suffered injuries.
Reports say six people were airlifted to Melbourne for treatment, however one has since died. The remaining 17 have been moved to regional hospitals, including the temporary relief centre in Kerang, according to aspokesperson.
Although there are still 13 people unaccounted for, police say it is possible that some had bought tickets and were therefore listed on the train, but did not end up catching the service.
is expected to fly to the crash scene this evening. He has ordered a full investigation into the incident. Federal Minister for Transport has offered assistance from the to help with the investigation. The has offered the Victorian government any additional aid that is requires in the aftermath of this incident.
|Train operatorhave set up an emergency hotline to assist relatives and friends of those on the train receive information. The number is 1800 800 120.|
- "Ten killed in country Victorian train crash" — , June 5, 2007
- "Ten die in train crash" — , June 5, 2007
- "Six dead, 50 injured in Vic train crash" — , June 5, 2007
- "Six feared dead in Victoria train crash" — , June 5, 2007
- "Holding Statement – Accident Near Kerang" — , June 5, 2007
- "'No boom gates' at level crossing crash scene" — , June 5, 2007
- "Truck hits train in Australia killing 6" — , June 5, 2007
- "Bracks to fly to train crash scene" — , June 5, 2007
- "PM offers train crash help" — , June 5, 2007
- "Victoria train crash toll now eight dead" — , June 5, 2007
- "Bendigo Line ~ Service disruptions ~ Tue 5 Jun" — , June 5, 2007
- "Eight killed in train crash" — , June 5, 2007
- "Six killed in Australian train crash" — , June 5, 2007