Firefox 1.0 Internet Browser released by Mozilla Foundation
Tuesday, November 16, 2004
Mozilla1.0, a free , has been released on November 9, 2004 by the Foundation.
Some major characteristics of the browser are: pop-up blocking, tabbed browsing, integrated RSS news reader, themes, online fraud protection, extendable with add-ons and multi-platform (it works on, and ). As of November 16, 2004, there are Firefox versions in the following languages: Norwegian, Polish, Finnish, Italian, Japanese, Greek, Korean, Spanish, Russian, Slovenian, Czech, English, Romanian, German, Hebrew, French, Hungarian, Swedish and Catalan. Other languages should appear later.
Firefox has grown rapidly in popularity, with a Preview Release of the 1.0 version surpassing 10 million downloads in days. The browser has received critical acclaim by some magazines and is seen by many as a real competitor to's , which currently holds over 90% market share. Here's what some reviewers have said about Firefox:
- "Move over, Internet Explorer. Feature-studded and secure, Mozilla Firefox 1.0 is a safer, better choice for Internet browsing." CNet
- "All told, Firefox is clean and fast. If you want a browser that respects your PC intelligence and helps you get things done, Firefox is a good place to start." PC Magazine
- "Despite its small flaws, Firefox is an excellent browser that is within a [sic] two years of unseating Microsoft IE from its throne." PCWorld
The software's website can be found at GetFirefox.com.
- Firefox takes torch from Microsoft browser <broken link> — , November 16, 2004
- Joris Evers. Internet Explorer loses market share <broken link> — , November 2, 2004
- Matthew Hicks. Internet Explorer Takes Another Market-Share Hit <broken link> — , November 1, 2004