MV Rachel Corrie seized by Israeli Naval Forces
Saturday, June 5, 2010
The 1,200-ton, an Irish aid ship, was seized by the Israeli Naval Forces, as it attempted to challenge the . It was seized in international waters, about 20 miles (30 kilometers) from Gaza's shore.
The military said its forces boarded ship from the sea, not helicopters and didn't meet any resistance. Thesaid: "No contact has yet been made with the kidnapped passengers but we have learned that they have been taken to Holon detention centre where they could be deported as early as tonight."
The ship, named in honor of American peace activist, contains support including: toys, school supplies, wheelchairs, medical equipment and cement, a material that Israel has restricted from entry into Gaza. The crew had rejected an offer to unload its cargo in Israel and accompany it across the border.
The Irelandinitially organised the ship. Jenny Graham, a (FGM) activist, assured that everything aboard the ship had been inspected in Ireland. A FGM activist Greta Berlin, based in Cyprus, said: "We are an initiative to break Israel's blockade of 1.5 million people in Gaza. Our mission has not changed and this is not going to be the last flotilla."
This comes after the death of nine activists when Israeli the 'Gaza Freedom Flotilla' that planned to breach the .
- "Nineteen activists killed by Israeli commandos aboard aid convoy bound for Gaza" — Wikinews, May 31, 2010
- "Gaza aid ship docks at Israeli port" — , Saturday, 5 June 2010
- "Israeli troops take over Gaza aid ship Rachel Corrie" — , Saturday, 5 June 2010
- "Israeli forces board Gaza aid ship the Rachel Corrie" — , June 5, 2010
- "Activists reject Gaza cargo deal" — , June 4, 2010
- "Martin demands entry for Irish aid ship" — , Jun 1, 2010
- Dan Williams, Marie-Louise Gumuchian, and Michele Kambas; editor Peter Graff. "Israel navy braced to intercept next Gaza aid ship" — , Jun 1, 2010
- Patrick Worsnip and Louis Charbonneau. "U.N. urges caution as more aid ships head to Gaza" — , Jun 1, 2010
- "Israel accuses critics of 'hypocrisy'" — , Jun 2, 2010
- "Gaza flotilla: MV Rachel Corrie heads for Israel coast" — , Jun 4, 2010
- "AP Top News at 7:05 a.m. EDT" — , Jun 5, 2010
- Amy Teibel. "Israeli naval commandos seize Gaza-bound aid ship" — , Jun 5, 2010