Messi sets scoring record for Argentina; defeats USA in Copa América semis
Friday, June 24, 2016
On Tuesday, Argentina defeated the United States 4–0 in the Copa América Centenario semi-final with scoring a in the second half. Argentinine Lionel Messi scored his 55th international goal from a free kick setting the nation's scoring record.
scored from Messi's assist in the third minute, providing Argentina an early lead. In the 31st minute, Argentina won a free-kick as fouled Messi.
Equalling Venezuela winning 4–1, Messi scored his 55th international goal in the 32nd minute from a free kick in the top right corner.'s scoring record in the previous match against
In the second half, Higuaín scored from's saved rebound making the score 3–0 in the 50th minute. Messi assisted Higuaín around the 86th minute for the fourth goal of the match.
Debuting eleven years ago, Messi has scored five goals in the World Cup and seven in the Copa América.
|20:00, June 21, 2016 (UTC-5)|
|United States||0–4||Argentina||, , |
|31'||0–2 (HT)|| 3' |
50', 85 or 86'
- "Argentina beats Venezuela 4-1 in Copa América quarters; Messi equals Argentina's scoring record" — Wikinews, June 20, 2016
- "Chile beats Argentina to win first Copa America title" — Wikinews, July 6, 2016
- "Messi, único dueño del gol" — , June 22, 2016 ()
- "RECAP: Argentina sees of hosts USA 4-0 to ease into Copa America Centenario Final" — , June 21, 2016
- "Live Scores - Copa América: USA - Argentina" — , June 21, 2016