Messi speaks of Argentina exit after losing Copa América Centenario over penalties
Thursday, June 30, 2016
Argentina's football captain Lionel Messi spoke of retirement from international football after losing 4–2 to Chile in the penalty decider in Copa América Centenario final on Sunday. Since then, many players including his present FC Barcelona teammate , former teammates and , former Argentina captain , and Argentine president have expressed disappointment, some urging him to stay.
Messi missed the penalty kick after Chilean's spot kick was stopped by as the match progressed to a penalty shootout. and scored their spot kicks for Argentina, but after 's penalty was saved by , scored the winning penalty for Chile.
Messi was crying after the match, and later told news reporters, "In the dressing room I thought that this is the end for me with the national team, it's not for me" ((es)) Spanish language: En el vestuario pensé que se terminó para mí la Selección, no es para mí . He added, "I tried so hard to be champion with Argentina. Now I am leaving without having managed it" ((es)) Spanish language: Ya lo intenté mucho, ser campeón con Argentina. No se dio, no lo pude conseguir .
Today, Suárez speaking tosaid, "Knowing Leo, I'm sure it was said in a moment of sadness and helplessness. It would be a shame for football if he took this decision, but I'm sure he will reconsider and change his mind."
Yesterday, president Mauricio Macri and Maradona urged him to think about his decision.
Messi's former teammatesaid, "It's very bad news for soccer. Messi is the best player in the world. [...] I don't know what happened in his mind[...] I know he's strong, a professional player, he's sure now disappointed because he lost one more final in penalty kicks again."
Ronaldinho, former Brazilian player and ex-Barcelona player, toldhe respects Messi's opinion and he would be always with him.
Five time World Player of the Year Messi has lost four finals on the international stage, of which three defeats came in the last three years — 2014 FIFA World Cup loss to Germany, last year's loss to Chile, and this year's.
Sergio Agüero told Argentine newspaperother players were also deciding weather to hang up their boots.
|June 26, 2016|
20:00 ( )
|Argentina||0–0 ()||Chile||New Jersey, , |
|2–4 (penalties)|| |
- "Chile beats Argentina to win first Copa America title" — Wikinews, June 6, 2015
- "Luis Suarez says Lionel Messi will play for Argentina again" — , June 30, 2016
- "Ronaldinho: We'll miss Messi, he's the best in the world" — , June 30, 2016
- Dylan Butler. "NYCFC's David Villa laments setbacks for Spain, former teammate Leo Messi" — , June 29, 2016
- Paul Vinnell. "Diego Maradona makes plea to Lionel Messi not to retire" — , June 29, 2016
- "Las voces argentinas tras la final" — , June 27, 2016 ()
- "Messi retires from internationals after Chile retains Copa" — , June 27, 2016
- "Live score - Copa América: Argentina-Chile" — , June 26, 2016