North Korean Research Institute for Nutrition Care of Children director slams UN's report on child malnutrition due to COVID-19
Friday, April 9, 2021
On Tuesday, a statement released by the United Nations on in North Korea, which found around 100 thousand children in North Korea are suffering from malnutrition. This malnutrition crisis is in part caused by COVID-19 border closures, according to .heavily criticised a report made by the
In the statement, the director of the Research Institute for Nutrition Care of Children, which is a part of the, described the report as "a sheer lie", "seriously distorted" and being "a black-hearted act of hostility to tarnish the image of our country". The statement further added: In our country, nutrition care of children is deemed a top priority despite difficult conditions and insufficiency. [...] But those self-styled experts wearing the berets of UN are distorting the situation of our country in order to create an impression that serious "malnutrition of children" exists in our country.
In a The Korea Times article, an unnamed non-governmental organisation said "approximately 440 thousand children and pregnant and lactating women will not receive, approximately 95 thousand acutely malnourished children will not receive necessary treatment and approximately 101 thousand kindergarten-aged children will not receive ".
Border restrictions in North Korea have been implemented as a way to stop the spread of COVID-19, but the restrictions have caused shortages of necessary goods such as medicine, Reuters reported quoting Russia's diplomatic mission to North Korea. These shortages have caused an "exodus" of foreign diplomats leaving North Korea, the same report added.
- Arirang News. "N. Korea calls UN report on child malnutrition 'seriously distorted'" — , April 6, 2021
- Yonhap News Agency. "North Korea slams UN report on child malnutrition as 'sheer lie'" — , April 6, 2021
- "Statement of Director of Research Institute for Nutrition Care of Children of DPRK" — , April 6, 2021
- Stephen Silver. "North Korea Lashes Out on UN Report About Child Malnutrition" — , April 6, 2021
- "Russian diplomats complain of acute shortages in North Korea causing foreign exodus" — , April 1, 2021
- "COVID contributed to ‘starvation’, executions in DPR Korea, Rights Council hears" — , March 10, 2021