Slow start to winter 2013/2014 flu season in USA
Sunday, October 27, 2013
All three sources say there are no, or minimal, reports of the flu in, , , , , , , , , , , and . All three indicate has moderate flu levels. Google FluTrends indicates that at the same time last year, the flu level nationally was at moderate.
During the early part of the month, there were some concerns about the quality of flu reporting as the CDC and other government supported flu tracking organizations were impacted by the US government shutdown. Some non-profits and private organizations provided their own data during this period to fill the information void.
The CDC advises people to get a flu vaccine as the best means of avoiding getting the flu. Dr. Harry Leider, Chief Medical Officer for, also is encouraging people to get the flu vaccine now before the flu becomes more widespread. For the 2013/2014 flu season in the US, there are two types of vaccines available. One provides immunization for two and an — specifically, an ; an , similar for antigenic purposes to cell-propagated prototype virus A/Victoria/361/2011; and a virus similar to B/Massachusetts/2/2012. A second type of vaccine provides immunization for two influenza A viruses and two influenza B viruses.
|State||Google FluTrend||CDC||The Weather Channel|
|New Hampshire||Low||No activity|
|North Carolina||Low||No activity|
|Rhode Island||Low||No activity|
|South Dakota||Low||No activity||Sporadic|
|West Virginia||Low||No activity|
|District of Columbia||Low||Sporadic|
- "Weekly US Map: Influenza Summary Update" — , October 27, 2013 (access date)
- "Healthy Living Maps — Influenza Reports" — , October 27, 2013 (access date)
- "Expore flu trends - United States" — , October 27, 2013 (access date)
- St. Louis Flu Season Off To Slow Start" — , October 25, 2013. "
- Steven Reinberg (Flu Season Off to Slow Start . . ." — , October 23, 2013). "
- Lisa Schnirring. "Spotty data suggest slow start to US flu season" — , October 16, 2013
- "What You Should Know for the 2013-2014 Influenza Season" — , September 4, 2013