Two MBTA Green Line trains collide in Newton, Massachusetts
Thursday, May 29, 2008
Two Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) Green Line trains have collided in Newton. Both trains consisted of two cars, one of which rear-ended the other causing major damage on both trains, multiple injuries and trapped the female operator of one of the two trains, 24 year-old Terrese Edmonds, who subsequently died. An investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board is underway.
The crash happened yesterday around 6 p.m. EDT between the Waban and Woodland Green Line stations on the Green Line's D Branch. One train was stopped at a red signal waiting to enter to Woodland when it was struck from behind by the second train.
According to MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo, "The first one was stopped at a red signal and was ready to proceed to the station when it was struck."
The Green Line, which is the most heavily used light rail line in the United States, is made up of four branches. The D Branch runs along a dedicated right of way and the stations are more spaced out as opposed to the other branches which run on the street.
This is one of several accidents the MBTA has experienced recently. Exactly two weeks ago, a trolley on the B Branch derailed and caught fire, and Tuesday, a fire broke out between Park Street and Downtown Crossing on the MBTA's Red Line. The MBTA's Commuter Rail division has also experienced accidents including the death of a 5-year old in Revere who was stuck by a commuter train in the middle of a grade crossing this Tuesday and a MBTA commuter train that was rear-ended by a runaway boxcar belonging to CSX back in late March. Quick thinking on behalf of the engineer on that train is believed to have averted a larger accident.
- "MBTA Has History Of Recent Accidents" — , May 28, 2008
- "'Multiple Injuries' In Trolley Collision" — , May 28, 2008
- "Commuter Trains Collide On Green Line In Newton" — , May 28, 2008
- Noah Bierman, Ralph Ranalli, and James Vaznis. "Trolley operator dies after collision in Newton" — , May 28, 2008
- Associated Press. "MBTA trains collide in Newton" — , May 28, 2008
- Dan Baer. "5-year-old Revere boy killed by train" — , May 27, 2008
- Martin Finucane. "Trolley with 30 aboard derails, catches fire on the Green Line" — , May 15, 2008