UNICEF: An increasing number of children are living in slums
Monday, March 5, 2012
published a new report titled, "THE STATE OF THE WORLD’S CHILDREN 2012 — Children in an Urban World". According to the report, every third city child today lives in a and has no access to adequate food, drinking water, education and medical care.
About one billion children and adolescents, and thus half of all children and adolescents, are living in cities. The continuingmakes the cities of the world grow annually by about 60 million people. The needs and rights of children and adolescents are, according to UNICEF, often disregarded and play no significant role in . In order to give children a voice in urban decision-making processes, UNICEF has worked on the Child-Friendly Cities Initiative.
The report describes the effects of poverty with regard to, poor , and vulnerability; social inequality also leads to crime and violence. The in poor slums is higher than in some rural areas.
Often between 50 and 80 percent of the income of a family are required for nutrition and access to existing health services; in the cities this is not possible, so diseases such as, and other diseases avoidable by are becoming dangerously prevalent again.
- "State of the health care system in Sierra Leone critical" — Wikinews, December 5, 2009
- "Five cholera deaths recorded in Zimbabwe amid fears of new epidemic" — Wikinews, October 21, 2009
- "Over 60 dead in Kenya cholera outbreak, state issues alert" — Wikinews, April 12, 2008
- "New 'clean water' funding for Djibouti's drought-stricken rural areas" — Wikinews, Wednesday, July 4, 2007
- "Unicef: African children orphaned by AIDS could top 18 million" — Wikinews, October 25, 2005
- "Malawi appeals for further humanitarian aid" — Wikinews, October 15, 2005
- "Eritrea plans to vaccinate 500,000 children" — Wikinews, March 26, 2005
- SOS Children's Villages – Canada. "UNICEF: “Epicenter” of Poverty Shifting to Cities" — , February 29, 2012
- UN News Centre. "Millions of children in cities face poverty and exclusion – UN report" — , February 28, 2012
- Reuters AlertNet. "Rapid urbanisation hurting millions of children - UNICEF" — , February 28, 2012
- The Guardian. "Make children the cornerstone of urban decision-making, urges Unicef" — , February 28, 2012
- Unicef. "THE STATE OF THE WORLD’S CHILDREN 2012 — Children in an Urban World" — , February 28, 2012