The start of March has seen a number of people writing sports articles turn up on the wiki. Like any topic, a group of contributors should find a place to get together as the sum of their contributions can be greater if they are aware of what other people are writing. At the moment we have a great deal of coverage, results, and fixtures on football, plus some basketball league stuff.
If you're doing sports writing, put your name here and details about what you're covering. Feel free to voice criticism of the sports portal, or suggest ways to improve it.
Sign below to let other sports contributors know who is working on the topic.
- Dark Squall - Football (soccer) writing. I update todays matches, put latest results, make top 5 tables, top 5 scorers and relegation watches on 4 leagues. Currently working on expanding the Football portal to 4 pages, which will make it easier to access information.
- Theirishpianist - Varies based on the season. Right now, I'm focusing on the college basketball tournaments, but once April hits I'll be working on baseball news. I'll likely also be doing some coverage on the NBA playoffs in May and June.
- Jwjoffrion- I write about the NFL and sometimes college football. I like to cover the Saints because I live near New Orleans and see a bunch of news about them.
- Wjmoore17- '07 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs right now. That's all I'm doing. However, I'll change sports, depending on the season. Right now, I'm covering the NHL, mostly. I also write any and all major NFL news, games, trades, injuries, etc. Also, I'll cover the occasional MLB story. North American sports. Only.
- Sumerset- I can cover NHL, which includes but is not limited to: games,trades,breaking news,injurys and retirements. I can also provide coverage on other sports such as: NFL,NBA,MLB and others.
- TheVault- My sports stories are usually about the MLB, but I will also provide some coverage for other sports such as football (American).
- Canadianshoper - Mainly Ice hockey for now (NHL), but when I come into the summer, it looks like I'll have to do something else sometimes.
- Zachary talk - I would be glad to contribute to NHL, MLB, and NFL articles.
- AllynJ - Cricket, specifically the World Cup for now. May look to extend that in to the English county season. Mostly looking at filling in scorecards and updating them around significant points in the matches (wickets, half-centuries, etc etc.), but will generally add some prose with regards to the matches. Would consider helping out with football (soccer), too.
How do you want to develop the portal? Based on who is contributing what how do you think this page can be kept relevant and current.
I like this idea, a watercooler for sports would be nice. Somewhere to organize sports by it's self. I'm behind it 100%. --wjmoore 17:18, 21 March 2007 (UTC)
I Support this 100% --Sumerset 11:03, 23 March 2007 (UTC)
- Well, as they say... This is a wiki. If you want to take over the talk page of Portal:Sports, then do it! --Brian McNeil / talk 09:02, 24 March 2007 (UTC)
WikiCast/ Audio WikiSports
Anyone intrested in assiting Wikicats by providign sports coverage? ShakespeareFan00 21:12, 13 March 2007 (UTC)
Uhh... Maybe.. what's a WikiCast? --wjmoore 01:34, 24 March 2007 (UTC)
- Check out WN:AUDIO, many reports are read and recorded. --Brian McNeil / talk 09:08, 24 March 2007 (UTC)
Too Far Behind
I was looking at the NHL Template, which has the standings of the National Hockey League, and they're WAY outdated. Compare these:
I'd like to keep this up, but I just don't have the time.
Would it make it easier to do if you took out things like streaks/last 10 games? i know you see them alot in the paper, but it might make someone more likely to update them, and they could always be re-added later. This is just a suggestion of course.—Dark Squall 02:09, 24 March 2007 (UTC)
- Jcart is now updating the NHL standings. If it goes a few days without updating, I'll pick up the slack (though the regular season is almost over now anyways). On to the PLAYOFFS! Zachary talk 09:52, 3 April 2007 (UTC)
That's great. Nice to see them current. Tonight's (Thursday) stats aren't there, but I won't hold it against anybody! --wjmoore 03:36, 6 April 2007 (UTC)
Even Farther Behind
Looking at the NBA Template, with the NBA standings, they haven't been updated for at least two months. Please update these as well! Chama
The only standings being updated is football (soccer), im the one doing it. I truly dont think anyone actually looks at them though, it almost seems pointless.—Dark Squall 22:42, 28 March 2007 (UTC)
- I just updated the NBA standings and leaders. I also added the MLB standings and leaders. Zachary talk 09:44, 3 April 2007 (UTC)
Yeah, I'm thinking those standings may be more trouble than they're worth. I don't often look at any of those standings.. Now that I think about it, the reason I don't look at them is because I don't trust their accuracy, seeing as they're almost always outdated. --wjmoore 03:34, 6 April 2007 (UTC)
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Hey, who all is in on this? I'm going to try to keep the Playoffs as up to date as possible. I'm going to assume Zachary is in on it, but is anyone else helping out? I'm just wondering