From Wikinews, the free news source you can write!
Some news from the Foundation:
- On Monday, bureaucrats on English Wikinews will lose the ability to rename users, as the next step on the long, long road (since 2006!) to migrate to SUL accounts only. Renames will now only be done by "global renamers" on meta: you can request the ght at the usual location on meta: m:SRGP. There's more information in the section above.
- On Tuesday, Wikinews will get bumped to a new MediaWiki version (1.24wmf21)
- On Thursday there will be a new beta feature, HHVM, that you can opt in through your preferences: it is a higher performance version of the software MediaWiki runs on. There shouldn't be any problems with HHVM, but if there are it will automatically fall back to "normal" PHP. As such, opting in will at best "increase performance… by a lot", and worst-case should just be the same as your normal editing experience.
- Busy week! I'll opt in for HHVM as soon as I remember. How long are they estimating until HHVM is on by default? — Gopher65talk 20:17, 14 September 2014 (UTC)
- I'll expect everything to break on Tuesday, then.
- And I'll opt in for HHVM at earliest, so I can see which essential tooks it breaks and how to work around those problems. --Pi zero (talk) 20:49, 14 September 2014 (UTC)
- They're not sure. You can take a look at the roadmap at mw:HHVM, but it's hard to estimate a completion time because they're not sure how many bugs they'll uncover at each stage. Microchip08 (talk) 09:36, 23 September 2014 (UTC)
- HHVM is now available: you can opt in at the usual place. Microchip08 (talk) 09:34, 23 September 2014 (UTC)
Tech update 2
Here's this week's update:
- phab: will now link to Phabricator, the tool we're migrating to from Bugzilla and friends. fab: was already taken :-).
- Special:MediaStatistics is now a thing.
- MediaViewer's been improved! (honest)
- New MediaWiki update (1.25wmf2) will hit English Wikinews on 7 October 2014.
- Lua (i.e. the Module: namespace) pages won't be able to be saved if they contain errors, which should help prevent things breaking.
- TemplateData's GUI tool is being rolled out to twenty more wikis (not us). Might be worth taking a look at; maybe we should opt in if it's useful.
- HHVM now serves 5% of logged-out users. 1.25wmf3 will be deployed on English Wikinews on 14 October. There's a IRC office hour about Visual Editor on 18 October at 1800UTC in #wikimedia-office, which you should join if you have any questions about it. There's also one about using structured data (similar to Wikidata) for file pages on Commons: that one's at 1800UTC on the 16th. Microchip08 (talk) 10:55, 13 October 2014 (UTC)