Policies and guidelines and the Style guide contain or link to most of the current en.Wikinews policies and guidelines, however policy is based on the accepted practices of the day on Wikinews, often these might not be written down. This section of the Water cooler focuses on discussions regarding policy issues.
You may wish to check the archives to see if a subject has been raised previously.
Wikidata thread of possible interest
d:Wikidata:Project chat#Description for Category Item --Pi zero (talk) 18:55, 3 February 2015 (UTC)
Usernames and role accounts
I've proposed a couple of updates to policy;
- This change to username policy. It clarifies examples of blockably misleading usernames, and updates procedure to change username. Uncontroversial. It also makes apparent breaches of my proposed role account policy blockable, below.
- This specifically bans role accounts, accounts shared by multiple users. This should be clear given how we treat original reporting from contributors, and how we hand out privileges like reviewer and accredited reporter. It also allows for community-sanctioned exceptions. I added that because I remember the community allowing the 'Church' of Scientology to edit via I think their account Shutterbug (talk · contribs) (although they got themselves blocked). Please discuss, and indicate if you support the proposals or not. BRS (Talk) (Contribs) 20:17, 4 February 2015 (UTC)
- Regarding the user name change bit. I purposely use a different user name here than at other WM projects. I have my reasons for that, and others may feel the same way. When I jump to another English WM project, I use the user name applicable there. Again, its kind of a privacy thing....but they all link to the same e-mail address. Just my two-cents. --Bddpaux (talk) 19:55, 5 March 2015 (UTC)
- Support BRS (Talk) (Contribs) 20:17, 4 February 2015 (UTC)
- Support --Pi zero (talk) 20:36, 4 February 2015 (UTC)
- Support —Mikemoral♪♫ 10:37, 5 February 2015 (UTC)
- Fully support because, if nothing else, shared accounts are damn unhygenic. --Brian McNeil / talk 21:16, 5 March 2015 (UTC)
Seeking clarification on issuance of press accreditation
Is English Wikinews press accreditation for English Wikinews, or for the Wikimedia movement? See Wikinews_talk:Accreditation_requests#Accreditation_for_Wikimedia_contributors. Blue Rasberry (talk) 14:06, 26 May 2015 (UTC)
- It seems to me that en.wn's accreditation is for journalism within the movement, and by en.wn. I see no conflict between these two things. I maintain there is nothing remotely exclusionary about asking someone who wants to be accredited by Wikinews to do some work with us; if somebody thinks that's an undue burden, I'd like to know why they think so. Wikinews is being asked to vouch for their conduct, they'd be invoking Wikinews's reputation by using our accreditation, clearly we want to know who we're vouching for. Asking them to do some work with us as a preliminary to accreditation seems to me like common sense; am I missing someting? --Pi zero (talk) 15:18, 26 May 2015 (UTC)