Chad article got published
ShakataGaNai - AR
I closed this AR as successful , and added ShakataGaNai (talk · contribs) to Wikinews:Credential verification - . Could you see about getting him a Accredited User Number and access to the mailing list? Cirt (talk) 06:37, 16 August 2008 (UTC)
I tried to edit it 2 days ago. I'm confused about the process and also, please tell me how this wiki got to the point where new editers' edits must be reviewed. Wishmaster68 (talk) 14:19, 16 August 2008 (UTC)
- You say "Firstly, here are the reasons we have to review edits
* To stop vandalism * To allow for facts to be verified."
1: Why is that necessary here and not at Wikipedia? 2: Who decided (and by what method was the decision made) that this systemic review process is advisable? Wishmaster68 (talk) 18:39, 16 August 2008 (UTC)
- Change of subjects, I know me and gopher would love if u would start another highlights article. The Mind's Eye (talk) 17:54, 20 August 2008 (UTC)
Hi, and thanks for making Hua Guofeng's death a lead article.
You're probably already working on it... but:
Former communist leader Hua Guofeng dies age 87
United States congresswoman Stephanie Tubbs Jones, representing Cleveland, Ohio died today following a brain aneurysm while she was driving her car. Fixed, thank you. MarkRobbins (talk) 08:44, 21 August 2008 (UTC)
Hi, I saw you contributed to the 21 August Olympic highlights article and I thought I should let you know that I created a 22 August one. This is around the time that you started the 21 August one so I thought it would be OK. Is it lead article-worthy? 21 August is still there. MarkRobbins (talk) 07:31, 22 August 2008 (UTC)
- Thank you very much :) I'll try to update it later on tonight. MarkRobbins (talk) 09:36, 22 August 2008 (UTC)
Sarah Palin quote
- There is a response on the collab page, first thing about the logs. :) —Calebrw (talk) 02:50, 2 September 2008 (UTC)
I would be grateful if you could add McCain VP pick Sarah Palin says teenage daughter is pregnant to the main page as a lead section: BREAKING NEWS. --Megapen (talk) 17:54, 1 September 2008 (UTC)
Can you see if anything was added to Wikipedia regarding her daughter's pregnancy? At least an addition prior to the official announcement. Apparently this rumor or announcement started on the web...I am wondering if WP was the start. DragonFire1024 (Talk to the Dragon) 19:09, 1 September 2008 (UTC)
Japan's Prime Minister Fukuda announces resignation
Would you or do you know who kindly style up this article? I've not got used to Wikinews:Style guide. I believe this topic is enough to be soon published. I found it posted by an IP user and improved its contents, but now I'm isolated. I welcome your help. Please! --Dumpty-Humpty (talk) 21:48, 2 September 2008 (UTC)
- I noticed your reply and help. I tried copy-editing the article. Now my draft awaits a check. Thanks! --Dumpty-Humpty (talk) 14:55, 3 September 2008 (UTC)
Wikinews pseudonym use
Hi A101, remember that convo we had on my talk page concerning my earlier suggestion that people such as ourselves could and should use alternative names and that UK law was in support of this? You should recall it ended in uncertainty regarding the legality of this in the US. I took the opertunity to email a certain Mike Godwin yesterday, explaining the situation, and he gave me the following quote (I'll assume he doesn't mind me sharing it): "...there is no general legal prohibition against the use of pseudonyms by journalists." In other words, we are free to encourage such behaivour on Wikinews. Thought that might interest you, is all. Blood Red Sandman (Talk) (Contribs) 14:58, 3 September 2008 (UTC)
DHS relies on Wikipedia for asylum information, appeals court rules against use
Talk:DHS relies on Wikipedia for asylum information, appeals court rules against use. See the section entitled "Huh?" Thanks, —Calebrw (talk) 01:43, 4 September 2008 (UTC)
Invitational Games for the Deaf, Taipei, 2008 (please notify the others about this when I post)
It's Invitational Games for the Deaf, Taipei, 2008. The biggest warming up event for Deaflympics 2009, Taipei City Government, as well as the organizer, had mailed me about detailed press information on this greatest warming up event.
Official website here - http://igdt2008en.ezpor.com/
Please tell the others about this information when I post any article here. Maybe it's short, but may be helpful.
Regards, Rico. (Manager of ExpoFrontier)
Ike and Sony aticles
- Sure. BTW: The main page needs to be sighted. —Calebrw (talk) 20:38, 4 September 2008 (UTC)
- PS: Could you take a look at: Pre-election call, Conservatives start ads, including during kids TV. Thanks, —Calebrw (talk) 20:46, 4 September 2008 (UTC)
Pre-election call, Conservatives start ads, including during kids TV
Sure, but only if you help with Record number of viewers watched McCain's acceptance speech. ;) —Calebrw (talk) 21:13, 5 September 2008 (UTC)
Record number of viewers watched McCain's acceptance speech
You're thanking me? I should thank you on behalf of the project. Before you got back from your festival, there was nothing published. Now, you've reviewed three articles and written a fourth that I reviewed, and we have something for people to click now when they look at today. So thanks! Blood Red Sandman (Talk) (Contribs) 17:27, 6 September 2008 (UTC)
Despite threats, "Alaska Women Reject Palin" rally held
Please review Despite threats, "Alaska Women Reject Palin" rally held. Thanks, —Calebrw (talk) 04:25, 15 September 2008 (UTC)
Anonymous101, I greatly apoligize for the spam/vandalizm/trolling under my IP address. I did not start out trying to troll or do any of that stuff. I was simply trying to point out some flaws with Wikinews, and I got carried away with anger at the user whos talk page I vandalized. Again, I appologize. His final comment in the "Wikinews is substandard" area is exactly what I was trying to critisize too. (P.S. Using an installation of MediaWiki on a private server I run, I am actually currently writing a Geological script to show missing children alerts for individual users specific areas, and I have got it working most of the way. The only problem I am having is when a user is logged in, for some reason it does not detect the users IP address.) Again, I apologize. Crasheddata (talk) 22:27, 15 September 2008 (UTC)
- This apology isn't worth the recycled electrons used to publish it. I do not believe you should have lifted any block based on it - if the user can write under a username there is no need to unblock a potentially unrelated IP. --Brian McNeil / talk 15:15, 16 September 2008 (UTC)
- The IP had not yet received a warning and I was considering lifting the block anyway as I was concerned I was overly harsh. I only took a few hours off the block and I am monitoring the IP and user to see if any further vandalism takes place. If it does, I will reinstate the block. I also think it is very unlikely the IP is unrelated, considering Crasheddata and the IP have both linked them self to the other. Also, repmember that blocks are not supposed to be punitive, and to me this seems like the IP got carried away so I am willing to AGF, as it might encourage the user to contribute constructively in the future. Thanks, Anonymous101talk 16:47, 16 September 2008 (UTC)
Wikinews interviews Christopher Beyette, prince of the Principality of Vikesland on his micronation being the first in history to have its flag displayed in space
I've insulted you
- OK, I have no problem with it being deleted if someone doesn't like it, but I personally think it is newsworthy Anonymous101talk 15:24, 17 September 2008 (UTC)
Suggestions on developing article?
Thank you for helping me along sofar, I would appreciate more of it with regard to my article WWE Raw Results from Memphis, TN for September 15, 2008. What more would you suggest as far as developing it into a more acceptable piece for Wikinews? Kamnet (talk) 18:58, 17 September 2008 (UTC)
- I did, I was just filling it in while you were writing this message. Anonymous101talk 09:41, 27 September 2008 (UTC)
Actually, thanks for acting so swiftly. The site seemed to be pretty quiet so I just looked for someone who was active. The piece seemed like it was about ready. Best, Durova (talk) 19:55, 9 October 2008 (UTC)
hi, I have a new article, will someone look at it?
Anonomous101 if not busy?
i have two waiting to be reviewed pacman jones and bobby orr could you get a chance to look em over or someone else? thank you. --188.8.131.52 18:13, 11 October 2008 (UTC)
- sorry i cant be on IRC i dont know why my comp wont go there. --184.108.40.206 18:13, 11 October 2008 (UTC)
I expect the story is newsworthy enough. My objections were how it was written, not the story itself. Since I mostly respect your work this wasn't a comment regarding you, just that particular article. - Amgine | t 19:45, 17 September 2008 (UTC)
- You cerrainly make a vaild point. my reporting in that particular article was not good enough. I apoligise for this. Also, welcome back. Anonymous101talk 20:26, 17 September 2008 (UTC)
Libertarian U.S. presidential nominee Bob Barr trying to remove running mate Wayne Allyn Root, reports say
Audio Wikinews page
Anonymous101, I recently made an edit to the Audio Wikinews page in order for it to include a recording I made of the Sarah Palin email article. However, even though I edited in the recording, it doesn't appear on the page. Could you help me with this? Thanks. --WNewsReporter (talk) 16:54, 21 September 2008 (UTC)
Are you sure you've thought that through? The help pages are developed and maintained by Meta, and I don't think we want to create and maintain special ones on Wikinews (although it's likely a lot of our help pages should be deleted for exactly this reason...)
Problems uploading a non-free logo
I am writing an article and I am almost done. The only thing is, that I cannot upload a non-free logo. I have the user status autoconfirmed user but if I upload the logo, I cannot chose the non-free licence in the scroll down menu. I have also tried the logo fur tag, but I am warned of speedy deletion if I hit the preview. Can you please help me with this problem? If I cannot upload the logo I won't be able to finish my article. I would really apreciate your help! Thank you --Swordfish2008 (talk) 09:53, 14 October 2008 (UTC)
- sure, reviewing. Anonymous101talk 17:23, 14 October 2008 (UTC)
OR Notes for Sitel Article
Please read my comment at talk:UK Prime Minister: The world will enter a recession. Changing "likely will" into "will" is not a choice that a neutral journalist should make. --SVTCobra 03:12, 25 October 2008 (UTC)
sorry Anonymous101 if i screwed the page up i just tried to fix a word par to per i thought it sounded right maybe i'am please do not take this as a work of vandalism because its not. ty --220.127.116.11 06:46, 26 October 2008 (UTC)
Well should be sorry well Can you please tell me where you find copyright voilation? might be i dn't get that and nt sighted clearly , so plz let me knw so that i ll make my self correct , and nt to mistake further Azamishaque (talk) 11:04, 27 October 2008 (UTC)
US Voters go to the polls
Hi--can you help get the US Voters story to the front page? It is interesting because it is breaking news and it would be way better with a bunch of original viewpoints in it. It won't be worth a damn tomorrow. I'm going to the polls in the next hour or so, will try to get some photos there that can be used for it.
Hi, if you're still online this is ready for review now. And thanks for signing up for a WV episode. Ping me via e-mail and I'll share my Skype ID. Would be glad to help you get up and running. Best, Durova (talk) 19:45, 4 November 2008 (UTC)
Thanks for the review
Hi, Thanks for the review of story Indian spacecraft Chandrayaan-1 enters moon orbit.
Its surprising though, that it still is not visible under November 08 section of news. (I guess it being in a publish status, should be visible).
- Hey, thanks a lot for reviewing the Chandrayaan article and posting it on main page. --Gppande (talk) 15:15, 9 November 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks again for the review. I tend to follow Indian subcontinental news more than rest of the world so I would prefer to contribute whatever is of top importance in the region. --Gppande (talk) 20:34, 10 November 2008 (UTC)
You don't uderstand the GFDL
My work on the article was perfectly acceptable under the GFDL. There is no need to ask the author for permission and on Wikipedia and here, no one has any rights to the work. So I ask that you undelete Transwiki:2008 Russian submarine accident. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Ipatrol (talk • contribs) 19:02, 9 November 2008 (UTC)
- I think Ipatrol may be right. Although the 2 licenses may not (be) compatible, the Wikinews boilerplate says: "All text created after September 25, 2005 is available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License unless otherwise specified." I think it may be ok to use free GFDL text, as long as text from the 2 sources are not mixed, and the authorship history and a link to the full text of the GFDL are preserved.
- It would be better, however, to have original CC-BY-2.5 text, which I think would be practical for such a short piece of text.
- --InfantGorilla (talk) 20:35, 9 November 2008 (UTC)
Thanks for the explanation (on my talk page.) I agree with the convention
(which should be written into a guideline one day) though I think deletion may be a little harsh, especially for such a newsworthy story as this. --InfantGorilla (talk) 20:52, 9 November 2008 (UTC)
@A101 wrote: If it had stuff that isn't in the WP article I would have kept that. Sounds fair enough. I withdraw my complaint 100%.
@DF1024: I think one of the sister wikis (I forget which one) has a convention that users must contribute their own content under a single agreed license, for exactly that reason. However, if users of that wiki import material created by a third party under another (free) license, then relicensing should be requested, but imports are acceptable under the original license. I am not
convinced sure how useful that would be here. I, personally, would be happy for GFDL or CC-BY-SA to virally infect an article I contributed, if I could import and copyedit a couple of Wikipedia paragraphs as background paragraphs at the end of the article.
I thank you for taking me into consideration. However, I am not as active as before (I only limit my edits on my home wiki, es.wikinews, to some maintainment). Thank you anyways. Regards, Julián (reply) 19:05, 13 November 2008 (UTC)
Thanks for spotting that the image of the Indian spacecraft we used had not in fact been distributed under a free license. Could have been embarrassing. --InfantGorilla (talk) 21:23, 14 November 2008 (UTC)
Thank you for supporting me for adminship. :) I'll try to make you glad you did it. So here's a Nadezhda "Harry S. Truman" Durova campaign song. All the best, Durova (talk) 00:26, 16 November 2008 (UTC)
I have taken the liberty of Micheal Jackson's speculation, help required in Michael Jackson speculated to have converted to Islam with Thanks Azamishaque (talk) 06:09, 24 November 2008 (UTC)
Editor Request Link Modification
Hi Anonymous101 I have no problems with your revert, I thought it looked cleaner without it intruding into the article flow. In any case I am happy - Cartman02au (Talk)(AU Portal) 01:04, 1 December 2008 (UTC)
Hi, you taged it, so you could help me perhaps. could you please tell me how to do that need review my own? I waited and asked for so long now but there's hardly no help. greets, --Andreas -horn- Hornig (talk) 10:49, 4 December 2008 (UTC)
Followed your advice
I made a new article Alleged 9-11 conspirators withdraw offer of Guilty Pleas. Hopefully you can look it over and get it published for me ^_^. DWolf2k2 (talk) 02:49, 10 December 2008 (UTC)
Just to let you know that there is another article Iraqi restaurant hit by suicide bomber. You might want to add to that article since it's a bit short to get a review. Cheers --PatrickFlaherty (talk) 17:06, 11 December 2008 (UTC)
re: edit summary
Hurricane Ike remove
You recently removed Hurricane Ike off. Is there some reason?
Sure, I'll take a look now I'm back (took a break for food) just as soon as I finish all the comments page stuff (I'm basically SineBot these days, but manual ;-). Blood Red Sandman (Talk) (Contribs) 18:01, 19 January 2009 (UTC)
I couldn't obviously find the New York share price anywhere - am I being stupid, or does it need sourced? (that may sound patronising; I genuinely mean, literally, 'have I done something stupid?') Blood Red Sandman (Talk) (Contribs) 18:47, 19 January 2009 (UTC)
Please review "The Simpsons" now in high-def and new adequate intro
the last time my formernews had to be deleted, because the review process took to long. I hope that this time, it will be faster and my news can be published in this or any other form :), greets, --Andreas -horn- Hornig (talk) 15:20, 15 February 2009 (UTC)
That image was not supposed to have been speedy deleted. This was an open discussion. If we are going to delete the plane image, I see no reason to keep the Obama Image that was being discussed. DragonFire1024 (Talk to the Dragon) 11:11, 16 February 2009 (UTC)
for nominating me as an administrator. I have accepted. Best, --20:52, 16 February 2009 (UTC)
Thank you so much for your article on the 1st March.
- You seem like a straight shooter from the other stuff I've read of yours, so I'm sure it was all in good faith, but that article really did not come off sounding very NPOV... please see my notes in the comments. (Though certainly perhaps I'm biased myself, but the tone of it doesn't sound very NPOV to me, and Rick Santelli who seems to have been a major source for it does not stand on neutrality much IMO.) --Struthious Bandersnatch (talk) 02:50, 2 March 2009 (UTC)
My first article
Hey, my name's Hunter. I contribute at Wikipedia frequently, but I've never tried Wikinews before. I just tried my first article, Pennsylvania cop on trial for allegedly murdering girlfriend's estranged wife. I see that you contribute here pretty often, so I was hoping you could take a look and see if I've done this right and give me any pointers. I wasn't sure if it should go up to review or development, so I left it in development just in case. I asked a few other users for help as well. Please let me know. Thanks very much! --Hunter Kahn (talk) 03:41, 10 March 2009 (UTC)
Hallo! Would you like to join an article writing/reviewing contest that I started? We need more people to join up. If you're interested, drop a line at the above link. Thanks! ♪Tempo di Valse ♪ 14:29, 21 March 2009 (UTC)
Wow... Just back from a few quite weeks away from wiki and the first edit in RC is you anouncing your retirement. I just wanted to say its been great and I'll miss you around here. I tried to email to make sure you got it but you haven't got email enabled. Feel free to drop me a line anytime. Farewell, and I hope you can come back soon, Blood Red Sandman (Talk) (Contribs) 20:37, 19 May 2009 (UTC)
- Good Luck! --ShakataGaNai ^_^ 20:39, 19 May 2009 (UTC)
- Yeah I hate when we lose Wikinewsies. Its sad when it happens. I hope one day you will return. If not then it was a pleasure :) DragonFire1024 (Talk to the Dragon) 20:40, 19 May 2009 (UTC)
Firstly, sorry it took me three months to reply. I only just saw the messages. Secondly, thank you for your kind messages, I really appreciate you taking the time to write them. Although I do not always have time, I will try and return to/edit Wikinews when I can (even if that is not very often). Thanks again, --Anonymous101talk 09:54, 3 August 2009 (UTC)
- I don't know how i'm just finding out about this now, I really havn't paid that much attention to wikinews happenings as of late, but yeah, I wanted to second all of what was said above. You will be/are missed. Bawolff ☺☻ 00:46, 21 October 2009 (UTC)
- Hey, you didn't find out until October of 09. Feel glad. I did not know he had retired until this very moment! He was awesome! By the way, Anonymouse, I finished that script, never submitted it though. I had it working on my own servers, then Murphy's law decided to punch me in the face. My server crashed, then a day later, my laptop went down. Anyways, goodbye. I know its a little (very) late, but you will be missed. Crasheddata (talk) 13:01, 27 July 2010 (UTC)
As someone listed as having an active bot I would like to draw your attention to the following issue. This may not affect you unless your bot edits sighted pages - eg in the Template namespace - but as a bot operator your input is likely to be better informed. --Brian McNeil / talk 09:36, 16 June 2009 (UTC)
Commons de-adminship warning
Hi. Please see Commons:User talk:Anonymous101#De-adminship_warning. Thanks! Jeff G. (talk) 19:38, 9 March 2010 (UTC)