Welcome to Wikinews
Getting started as a contributor
Welcome! Thank you for joining Wikinews; we'd love for you to stick around and get more involved. To help you get started we have an essay that will guide you through the process of writing your first full article. There are many other things you can do on the project, but its lifeblood is new, current, stories written neutrally.
All Wikimedia projects have rules. Here are ours.
Listed here are the official policies of the project, you may be referred to some of them if your early attempts at writing articles don't follow them. Don't let this discourage you, we all had to start somewhere.
The rules and guides laid out here are intended to keep content to high standards and meet certain rules the Wikimedia Foundation applies to all projects. It may seem like a lot to read, but you do not have to go through it all in one sitting, or know them all before you can start contributing.
Remember, you should enjoy contributing to the project. If you're really stuck come chat with the regulars. There's usually someone in chat who will be happy to help, but they may not respond instantly.
The core policies
Places to go, people to meet
Wiki projects work because a sense of community forms around the project. Although writing news is far more individualistic than contributing to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, people often need minor help with things like spelling and copyediting. If a story isn't too old you might be able to expand it, or if it is disputed you may be able to find some more sources and rescue it before it is listed for deletion.
There are always discussions going on about how the site could be improved, and your input is of value. Check the links here to see where you can give input to the running of the Wikinews project.
Find help and get involved
Write your first article for Wikinews!
Use the following box to help you create your first article. Simply type in a title to your story and press "Create page". Then start typing text to your story into the new box that will come up. When you're done, press "save page". That's all there is to it!
Checked Russian and Spanish Wikinews
As you suggested, I checked those other wikinews sites. Now, I only know a few words in both Spanish and Russian, so I'm not able to dig deeper into this. But from a casual view, the Russian one ain't better off than here, but the Spanish one is lively, with up-to-date stories about the Nobel price and such. That's interesting. Do you know of any different policies there, Gryllida? Oh, and btw, this talk page contents don't show up in normal view on my browser, only in editing mode. Got an idea why that's so? Gray62 (talk) 12:46, 5 October 2018 (UTC)
- I don't read Spanish, but we can ask in English at their water cooler if needed.
- They're commented out because I do not archive to a separate page. To avoid seeing them use the 'add a comment' tab. --Gryllidamsg/chat/jmgse 12:50, 5 October 2018 (UTC)
I was just editing the my new news article with some extra information regarding what you have said, when message popped up saying this:
This action has been automatically identified as harmful, and therefore disallowed. If you believe your action was constructive, please inform an administrator of what you were trying to do. A brief description of the abuse rule which your action matched is: support number vandalism #1
Is this anything you'd be able to help with, I can send you the updated article if you need it, I copied it to a notepad.
- @Dan23452767645:: this seems to be triggered by the phrase 'customer support' (change; the spam filter), could you please reword that? For example remove the "customer" and just say "praised their support".
- I am not an expert in the filters, but I will ask the correct people to look into it. --Gryllida (chat) 00:44, 15 October 2018 (UTC)
- Afaict, that particular abuse filter will leave you alone once you've been here a while. --Pi zero (talk) 01:02, 15 October 2018 (UTC)
New to WikiNews
Hello. I am wondering what I can do to contribute to WikiNews; I have worked on Wikipedia for a few years but this project seems so foreign to me! I enjoy editing article yet many of them are locked. Is there a way to find articles that need help or topics that need to be written about? Any help is greatly appreciated!TheGracefulSlick (talk) 22:09, 15 October 2018 (UTC)
- @TheGracefulSlick: Hi (pardon my dropping in, here); I've noticed the article you created, and I'm about to write up some review comments on it. I'm thinking you're well familiar with general wiki principles, while at the same time there are some key particulars of Wikinews you just need to acclimate to. Here's some recommended reading:
- In your case, Wikinews:For Wikipedians seems particularly appropriate.
- There's a compact overview of what we do here at Wikinews:Pillars of writing.
- There's a tutorial on writing a first Wikinews article, at WIkinews:Writing an article. There's also a different style of tutorial-ish document at Wikinews:Article wizard, though it really ought to be interactive, and isn't (yet).
- --Pi zero (talk) 22:52, 15 October 2018 (UTC)
- @Pi zero: thank you and I will do my best to adjust to the particulars of the site. For full disclosure, I was blocked from Wikipedia and am here to contribute in another way and work my way back. Do not expect any trouble from me; I made a mistake I intend to learn from. Thanks again for the help.TheGracefulSlick (talk) 23:24, 15 October 2018 (UTC)
- Hi TheGracefulSlick. The links Pi zero gave are very good for getting started. Just ask if you have any questions. --Gryllida (chat) 23:53, 15 October 2018 (UTC)
U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren releases DNA test results, asks Donald Trump to make promised donation
- I like the position of the image, after the first paragraph and not 'around it at the left', for two reasons: firstly it is not a part of the current event as the image is older; secondly it allows the reader to focus on the first paragraph more.
- Thanks for this change, and for reviewing the story in time, Pi zero. This is amazing. I appreciate it. --Gryllida (chat) 23:47, 18 October 2018 (UTC)